Printer's ink supply levels - "Not Available"

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Printer's ink supply levels - "Not Available"

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:25 pm

For what it's worth... the "Check Supplies" box in the Print dialog box that you were referring to requires Apple's software to interact with the printer's software and report the result to you. I have found that with certain printers this doesn't work. The failure to report supply levels is annoying but if the printer manufacturer has their OWN software (some kind of Printer Utility... which most of them do) then you can use that stand-alone software to find the information you need.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks, Jerry,
That was an interesting addition to the mix.
I decided to explore just a little - a very little.

There was a little button "Buy Epson Ink" in the upper left hand corner of my Epson Utility Window.
When I clicked on it, it went online to an Epson website where I could buy ink which isn't so amazing,
but this is amazing:
It showed me approximate ink levels of my Epson C120 printer... It is almost a little scary! :!:
Attachments
Epson Stylus C120.png
Epson Stylus C120.png (73.02 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Buy Epson Ink.png
Buy Epson Ink.png (86.73 KiB) Viewed 1659 times

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 am

It's been a while since I owned an Epson printer, but my recollection is that there is an Epson Printer Utility application somewhere in either Applications or Utilities. That little app was what I was referring to. Clicking on the "Buy Ink" button was a nice discovery for you, but I wouldn't have thought of it!

briant30
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briant30 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:00 am

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:Thanks, Jerry,
That was an interesting addition to the mix.
I decided to explore just a little - a very little.

There was a little button "Buy Epson Ink" in the upper left hand corner of my Epson Utility Window.
When I clicked on it, it went online to an Epson website where I could buy which isn't so amazing,
but this is amazing:
It showed me approximate ink levels of my Epson C120 printer... It is almost a little scary! :!:
The first time I saw this,i thought that there was a malware but as Ive read on the net seems like Epson is doing this to encourage to buy OEM Epson inks on line..
Last edited by briant30 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:30 am

Yes, they do want you to buy their ink instead of the off-brand replacement... but the germane part about this, relative to Kirsten's original question, is that the computer IS ABLE to talk to the printer and the printer is reporting its status back. It's only that Apple's Print Utility is not able to see and report that info.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Most likely the printer really can't tell you how much ink is in the cartridges. It bases the ink usage on how much paper has gone through the printer.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 am

I don't know how Epson printers do this but clearly the printer DOES know how much is in each cartridge (and not just the number of pages printed). At times when a lot of color printing is done, that cartridge can be drained out quickly. The b/w cartridge remains full and shows that way. I have found these reports to be quite accurate (done by some sort of sensor in the cartridge, I've always assumed....) You can also make a judgment about the levels by weighing the cartridges....