Aperture 3 Tip: Confirm Many Faces

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Aperture 3 Tip: Confirm Many Faces

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:29 pm

In Aperture 3, as in iPhoto, there's a Faces feature.
If you double click on one Face in the corkboard view, you'll see all the individual faces assigned to that Face.
At the bottom of that grid is a section of photos that might contain the person in question. There may be a lot of these, especially when you first import from iPhoto to Aperture.
There are a number of web pages with this tip: merely draw a marquee around a bunch of faces to confirm them en masse. (You can then reject any of that group that are not correct.)
But none of the sites I found give you this clue: you cannot start the marquee inside one of the face images. You have to start in the background. And there's very little background shown between images.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Aperture 3 Tip: Confirm Many Faces

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I have literally torn out the three remaining hairs on my head trying to figure this out!! Great tip, Stephen, thanks for posting it. Do I assume correctly that the tip works identically in iPhoto as well as in Aperture?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Aperture 3 Tip: Confirm Many Faces

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:25 am

JerryFreilich wrote:I have literally torn out the three remaining hairs on my head trying to figure this out!! Great tip, Stephen, thanks for posting it. Do I assume correctly that the tip works identically in iPhoto as well as in Aperture?

Yes, though in iPhoto, at least the way I had it set up, there was a lot more space between thumbnails, so it's more natural to start a marquee in the background.

I should note that this is exactly the same as choosing, say, icons on a desktop. it's just that with the thumbnails crowded together, I didn't think about that. And in Aperture and iPhoto thumbnails, you can't shift or command click to select several thumbnails.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs