Damaged Drive: Scavenge Files?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Damaged Drive: Scavenge Files?

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 am

briwilt wrote:Two things that may help...
I'd recommend hooking the drive up directly via SATA cable instead of USB adapter. This is easier said than done unless you have a MacPro, or a PC with recovery software.

Second, an old trick I've used in the past...put the drive in your freezer over night and then see if you can recover data. Of course, the more times you try, the less likely you will be able to recover data.
I don't have a Mac that can accept SATA directly. I do know about the freezer technique, but my impression was that it helped a drive that wouldn't spin up. In this case, the drive spins up OK.

In any case, the drive's at DriveSavers as of this morning.
DriveSavers says they charge nothing if they can't recover any data. And if they can recover the important data, it'll be well worth the cost in this particular case. Of course, another scenario is that they recover some or a lot of data, just not the particular important files.

I'll report back what happens.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Well, the drive in question suffered an actual head crash, and was unrecoverable.
FWIW, here's the lowdown on DriveSavers Standard Service: 1-2 Business Days:
Recovery Quote: $900-3900, No charge if data is unrecoverable
Type of Media: Hard Drive
Data Returned on: DriveSavers supplied 500GB LaCie Rikiki External at $99 or a Customer supplied Target Drive.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Head crashes most often happen when the laptop is dropped while it is running. When the computer is shut off the heads are parked so a head crash is less likely. Suggest SSD drives for those who often carry running laptops.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

briwilt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briwilt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Well, the drive in question suffered an actual head crash, and was unrecoverable.
FWIW, here's the lowdown on DriveSavers Standard Service: 1-2 Business Days:
Recovery Quote: $900-3900, No charge if data is unrecoverable
Type of Media: Hard Drive
Data Returned on: DriveSavers supplied 500GB LaCie Rikiki External at $99 or a Customer supplied Target Drive.
Ouch! I was going to offer my services since I have software on my PC that features recovery for volumes including MacOS Extended. Haven't had to use it yet, thankfully.

I knew someone who actually used DriveSavers to recover data from his HDD. Cost was $1300, and basically all that was recovered was his contacts. Depends what that data is worth to you I guess.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 am

As a final note:

DriveSavers returned my drive, and Hitachi will replace it under warranty. That's probably about a $60 drive.
(Note that warranty replacements are sometimes "reconditioned" or "recertified" drives, not new ones. Probably fine for occasional use, but I'd hesitate to use a reconditioned or recertified drive as the main drive in a Mac or as a Time Machine drive.)

There was no cost for Fedex each way or for the diagnosis, which did include opening the drive and examining the platters.

The drive comes back with a red sticker noting that DriveSavers has an agreement with manufacturers to maintain warranty.

You also get a tasteful, plastic mouse pad. Tasteful, that is, if you're red-green color blind.

All and all a fine experience with the company.
Steve Jobs