Damaged Drive: Scavenge Files?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Damaged Drive: Scavenge Files?

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm trying to help with a damaged MacBook hard drive that contains important files.
It spins up, and DiskWarrior, after a long time says:
DiskWarrior has successfully built a new directory for the disk named "Untitled." The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction.!
!
A disk malfunction is a failure of or damage to any mechanical component of the disk device, or any component connected to it. The malfunction will likely worsen. Therefore, recovering your files from the DiskWarrior Preview as quickly as possible is essential.!
!
It is highly recommended that you backup all of your data from the preview disk.!
But DiskWarrior can't show me the Preview.

So I wonder of any of the SMUG troubleshooters has had good luck with a utility to scavenge files. DriveSavers might be a possibility, if it comes to that.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Damaged Drive: Scavenge Files?

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I wish I had some advice at this stage, but this sounds, frankly, precarious. You don't say anything about the sort of drive, but if there is any way to bypass the power supply part of the process, maybe that's an idea? In other words, if it's an external drive and you swap the drive mechanism itself with another power supply?? If it's an internal MacBook drive, can you take that drive out of the computer and put it into one of your spiffy external enclosures that has a power supply? This technique has saved my rear end more than once.

Sounds like Grim Times to me.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm

It's a raw drive that's out of its MacBook. I used an OWC Universal drive connector to get it connected to power and USB.

I think you're right, and will probably be sending it off to DriveSavers. I did send an e-mail to Alsoft (the makers of DiskWarrior) to see if they have any suggestions. But I am leery of doing anything more with it.

The only two bright signs are that it does spin up, and it doesn't make any horrible noises.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

I've seen that same error using Disk Warrior. Sounds like DriveSavers might be your only alternative and then only if the files must be salvaged as DriveSavers is very expensive.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:16 am

Do you know what was the cause of the damage to the drive?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:57 am

Jay Cline wrote:Do you know what was the cause of the damage to the drive?
This is Robbie's hard drive, which he sent from China. It just died suddenly. At first I thought it might have been descending from high altitude to lower, preventing the drive from spinning up. That's happened to us way in the past. But no, the drive spins up.
Unless Alsoft tech support gives me hope, I'll send it to DriveSavers.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I sent a drive to them about 4 years ago with similar problems. Cost about $500 for them to tell me the drive had had a head crash and data could not be recovered as most of the disk had been destroyed.

What a severe head crash looks like, in this example the read/write head cuts through the still-running disk:
Last edited by Jay Cline on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

OOOUUCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Jay Cline wrote:I sent a drive to them about 4 years ago with similar problems. Cost about $500 for them to tell me the drive had had a head crash and data could not be recovered as most of the disk had been destroyed.
That looks terrible.
But in this case, I'm clinging to two rays of hope: 1. The drive spins up. 2. DiskWarrior sees the disk, and sees two partitions on it. 3. The drive doesn't make any horrible noises.

Wait! That's three rays of hope.
Steve Jobs

briwilt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briwilt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:03 am

Two things that may help...
I'd recommend hooking the drive up directly via SATA cable instead of USB adapter. This is easier said than done unless you have a MacPro, or a PC with recovery software.

Second, an old trick I've used in the past...put the drive in your freezer over night and then see if you can recover data. Of course, the more times you try, the less likely you will be able to recover data.