Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

MacBook Pro 2019 and Touch Bar

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: MacBook Pro 2019 and Touch Bar

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 am

I've been having a lot of fun tinkering with BetterTouchTool.

I've been able to nearly recreate my customized Fkey system, in which I use a clear plastic printed template to name Fkeys. The Touch Bar + BetterTouchTool + Keyboard Maestro makes this system what I've always wanted. I've read that some people see the Touch Bar as a mere gimmick, but for me it makes the whole purchase worthwhile.
I can even have a Touch Bar button change depending on the modifier key pressed.

The top image is my iMac's keyboard.
The bottom image is a screenshot of the Touch Bar (Shift + Command + 6). Pressing option will turn paste into paste date, pressing shift will turn paste into paste time. I plan to add another one that turns copy into screenshot when shift is pressed.

I even got the em dash button aligned directly above the hyphen and dash button.

I've read blog posts on how to get rid of the X on the left end and get the esc key to the left end. But I couldn't get it to work. I'll probably work on that some more.

On the right end, you see the BetterTouchTool icon (not sure if I really need that) and the expand control strip arrow.
Attachments
template.jpg
template.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Touch-Bar-Shot-2019-06-01-at-11.28.32-AM.jpg
Touch-Bar-Shot-2019-06-01-at-11.28.32-AM.jpg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 253 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: MacBook Pro 2019 and Touch Bar

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 am
I plan to add another one that turns copy into screenshot when shift is pressed.
I've read blog posts on how to get rid of the X on the left end and get the esc key to the left end. But I couldn't get it to work. I'll probably work on that some more.

On the right end, you see the BetterTouchTool icon (not sure if I really need that) and the expand control strip arrow.
I have now gotten rid of the big X on the left end of the Touch Bar so esc is where it is on a keyboard with physical F keys, more or less.
BetterTouchTool shows buttons within the Apple Control Strip if you choose to show the Control Strip. BTT shows the minimized version of the Control Strip on the right and uses the blank space between that and the left-hand X to show its own buttons.
So what you do is not show the Control Strip, and add a BTT button (I used an icon that's nearly identical the the expansion arrow Apple uses) to show the Control Strip. This allows me to toggle between the BetterTouchTool button row and the Control Strip and then expand and contract the Control Strip.

I've also got modifier keys (shift and option) to change button names and actions. There's one issue I'm still having, but I'm not the only one:
https://community.folivora.ai/t/confuse ... ns/6177/13
I'm hopeful this will be cleared up a bit soon.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs