Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Older Mac Book (early 2008) version problem with connectivity

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Helian
Forum Member
Forum Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Older Mac Book (early 2008) version problem with connectivity

Post by Helian » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Got this Macbook to assist me in doing a Library presentation on Bees and pollinators.

Trouble was the Ethernet connection was flaky. Only by holding the cable firmly down in the port would it work. Tried all my WORKING elsewhere cables. None worked. Went to Olypen and it was the same. They stuck in a USB -Ethernet converter and it took.
Bought one - and even with a driver download it still does not log into or 'remember' that I have an Ethernet connection. Have to go through the entire process of what to use again and reinsert the Ethernet converter plug.

Now this leads to my REAL problem. Uploading a slide presentation to the library TV screen.
1. There are mini port to DMLI converters out there. Is this the way to go?
2. Or there are USB (possible using both free USB ports) to DMLI converters.

This seems to be more logical as it could also work on my Windows laptop whereas the MAC mini port connection is not on a Windows machine and it seems that the only shareable hardware is the USB port - though as I found out they do not work for FLASH drive data exchanges.
So far I have only been able to share my data by uploading to Google Drive and then using the Ethernet connection download it to this MAC.
Suggestions would be welcome.

Early 2008 Mac. Lion OS vers. 10.7.5 - (upgrade-able??)
3 USB ports, the mini port and the non working Ethernet connection.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Older Mac Book (early 2008) version problem with connectivity

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Others can address the presentation issues.
I wonder if you looked into the ethernet port. It's pretty big, and could have lint in it. You could clean it with an optical wiper like Flents Wipe 'N Clear or with an alcohol swab, like those used to clean skin before an injection. The Wipe 'N Clear wipers are fairly dry. You'd want to dry an alcohol swab a bit before using for this. I wouldn't use a Q tip, as it's likely to leave cotton fibers behind.

(Bees and pollinators sounds interesting. See my web site: https://onh.eugraph.com/insects)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Older Mac Book (early 2008) version problem with connectivity

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Helian wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:09 pm
Got this Macbook to assist me in doing a Library presentation on Bees and pollinators.

Now this leads to my REAL problem. Uploading a slide presentation to the library TV screen.
1. There are mini port to DMLI converters out there. Is this the way to go?
2. Or there are USB (possible using both free USB ports) to DMLI converters.

This seems to be more logical as it could also work on my Windows laptop whereas the MAC mini port connection is not on a Windows machine and it seems that the only shareable hardware is the USB port - though as I found out they do not work for FLASH drive data exchanges.
So far I have only been able to share my data by uploading to Google Drive and then using the Ethernet connection download it to this MAC.
Suggestions would be welcome.
Guessing you mean HDMI and not DMLI. You also said you were 'uploading' a slide presentation. Does that mean you want to connect your Mac to a TV and using that as an external monitor?

You'll need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to allow you to show a presentation on a HDMI equipped TV or projector with an HDMI port.
http://tinyurl.com/y2nx72wf

You can share files between PC and Mac using a flash drive if the flash drive is formatted properly.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.