Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Apple Card

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Apple Card

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Apple has several slick web pages (whoda thunk it?) on Apple Card, with some updated information.

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Apple Card

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:25 pm

It occurs to me that Apple is hoping to replay the iPhone: take something that is confusing, complicated, hard to use and make it simple.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:39 am

I'm sure there will be more information coming out as we approach the release date but one question I have is how do I tell online merchants and service providers what my account number is so I can have my bill automatically dropped onto the new Apple Card? I have a number of bills paid automatically via EFT such as my PUD bill, trash service, Centurylink, PDN, etc. I have to give them my account number and three-digit security code but that's nowhere to be found on the card or even in my iPhone Wallet app if I'm reading things right.

One of the security features being touted about the new card is the ability to change your account number just by tapping here and there in your iPhone app. The example Apple uses is paying a bill from a dodgy merchant and then immediately changing your account number so the iffy character can't do naughty things with your account. But back to all the merchants you pay via EFT, wouldn't you have to go to each and every one of them online and change the information for them too? If PUD has one account number and I change it because I'm not happy with the personal character of someone I've just paid wouldn't I have to change it on the PUD website too?

I need more information but it's almost sounds like I'd need two cards. One for all the online merchants that use EFT so I could comfortably leave the account number alone and a different card for everyone else. We shall see what we shall see.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Richard,
I had the same questions, and I have a guess about how it will work.
I think the answer is virtual card numbers. Current credit cards (at least some of them) allow you to request a virtual card number for a single use. After use it becomes invalid.
I'm guessing that Apple is expanding on that such that all card numbers are virtual and you can have as many as you need. So for PUD, you generate a card number for that account, and it's good there and only there until you change it. For CenturyLink, you do the same thing. So if someone hacks a business the information they gain is useless (unless the hackers want to pay your PUD bill for you). Hacking business is far and away the main financial security risk, as the hackers get thousands or millions of numbers at once. They typically attempt a small charge, like $1.00 to check the card number. Then they buy something at a real online store. Yes, I speak from experience. Since banks notice such patterns, it's even possible that the bank can automatically cancel the one virtual number and notify you.

For a web site that requires you to fill in an account number, but where you don't want to set up an account, you can generate a virtual number in Wallet, then later delete that number. I didn't see any mention of one-use card numbers that become invalid automatically once the transaction is complete, but it seems likely Apple will offer this feature.

Apple doesn't say much on this, though. From the overview page:
For apps and websites, there’s a virtual card number in the Wallet app. It autofills for you when you’re using Safari.
Heck, with brilliant speculation like that, I can get a job at any one of the Mac online "magazines"!
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 pm

That would do it. We're just going to have to wait until it's released. Apple really hasn't offered much in the way of details and the :twisted: 's in the details.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 am

I haven't looked to see if Apple's answering questions about the card.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm

More:
Instead, Apple provides a virtual card number and virtual confirmation code (CVV) for the card in the app. You can use this for non-Apple Pay purchases online or over the phone. This number is semi-permanent, meaning that you can keep using it as long as you want.
But you can hit a button to regenerate the PAN (primary account number), providing you with a new credit card number at any time. This is great for situations where you are forced to tell someone your credit card number but do not necessarily completely trust the recipient.
Card numbers are manually regenerated only, and do not automatically rotate. There is, currently, no single-use number support or single-merchant number support.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/28/how-apple-card-works/
Apple Card has awesome features but the most important of them all, at leasts from a security standpoint, is probably the ability to generate virtual card numbers on demand
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/04/0 ... l-numbers/

And on virtual numbers in general:
The advantage for consumers? That virtual account number can reduce the damage that a fraudster can do – he or she gets access only to that number, not your credit card account. Issuers offering virtual card numbers let you set the parameters for their use, such as for a one-time use for an online purchase, for use with a particular retailer for any online purchases there or during a specific time period.
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... umbers.php
Steve Jobs