Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Finder Link to Item in Books.app

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Finder Link to Item in Books.app

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am

I'd like to have a link in a Finder folder to a pdf in my Books.app library.

I can find the pdf file here: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks and make an alias to put in the Finder folder. (I can also just search in the Finder for the filename.)

But then it gets complicated.

If I double click the books from within Books.app, the pdf opens in Preview. When I close the Preview window, or quit Preview, nothing out of the ordinary happens.

If I open that same pdf file using the alias in a Finder window, the pdf opens in Preview. But when I close the Preview window, or quit Preview, I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to save the file or delete it. So apparently using the alias duplicates the pdf file. I can try to remember that fact and always delete the duplicate, but that's not an ideal solution.

So does anyone know a way to create an alias or link to open a book in Books.app?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Finder Link to Item in Books.app

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I think I was wrong about this. Apparently something causes Preview to duplicate the pdf file, even when opened in Books.app.

Maybe I inadvertently modified the file.
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm

Why not just have a duplicate of the file on the Desktop ... and not mess with an alias?
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:32 am

Ray Bentsen wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm
Why not just have a duplicate of the file on the Desktop ... and not mess with an alias?
Actually, I only discovered that there was an issue because I tried using aliases instead of duplicates.

I suppose in cases where you might want to highlight or otherwise modify the file, a duplicate would confuse matters. In this case, I'm dealing with a couple of user manuals, so I probably could use duplicates with no problem.
Steve Jobs