Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Dashboard Weather Widget

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dashboard Weather Widget

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am

Recently I restarted my iMac and my laptop (Macbook Pro) as a maintenance procedure and, in both cases I lost my weather widgets on the dashboard. The cities are there but the information side is blank, gray. I tried adding a city and I got the card with Cupertino in the location, but when I tried to enter my desired city it would not change and did not show any info about the weather in Cupertino, it was blank, gray.

On my iMac I am running El Capitan and my MacBook Pro is Snow Leopard. I could expect the in Snow Leopard as being too old and not supported anymore, but not so with El Capitan.

Any ideas about what happened and how to restore the weather widget on my dashboards?

ChrisO
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dashboard Weather Widget

Post by ChrisO » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I tried this on a couple of computers running macOS Sierra and Mojave- the Weather app does not connect even to the default Cupertino location.

I believe Dashboard is a dead feature. Apple has moved on to the Notification Center, which is on the "modern" OS versions, I'm unsure if El Cap has it. If it does, it's in the upper right corner in the menu bar, next to the magnifying glass.

You can add widgets to this, there are many on the App Store.

Trying to add widgets to Dashboard doesn't always work, and they appear to be outdated-and may contain security risks!

Time to upgrade your OS on the iMac, if it can be- 2009 is limited to El Cap, Late 2009, 2010-2011 to High Sierra, 2012 and newer, Mojave.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Yes, I do have Notification center on the El Capitan iMac and I have the weather on there. But, now how do I eliminate a city and/or change that city? I can't seem to find a way to edit the individual cities. I select the "edit" button and it takes me to the other things I can add to the center and not how to edit within.

My iMac is limited to El Capitan. My Mac computers just keeps trekking on. So far olypen supports El Capitan for virus protection, but probably not for much longer.

ChrisO
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by ChrisO » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:11 pm

On my Sierra computer, I just click the circle "i" icon kin the upper right of the Weather box, then the "+" to add a location, then enter the city.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:22 pm

While on the subject of weather, I really like Forecast Bar for both Mac and iOS devices.

On my iMac and MacBook Pro, the current temperature (with hourly updates) is displayed in the menubar, and clicking there provides easily readable information for the next week (see screenshot). Yes, there is a $5 annual subscription (that covers both devices), but the app is very reliable ... and I just like it.

Note that since I also have the iOS version, it is getting exact GPS location info from my iPhone app and using that to determine weather conditions to display on my Mac. That's nice for folks living at the top of Blue Mountain Road, for example, who don't care much about "lowland" conditions in Sequim or Port Angeles.

Once you download either version, you do get a free trial period. For more info, just go to the App Store or http://forecastbar.com ;)

Note that when you click on the upper box of information, an additional weather related box appears with wind, humidity, sunrise/set, etc. info. (second screenshot) And clicking on the radar dish icon provides a current animated radar map. Lastly, in case you were wondering ... yes, the iOS version does include an Apple Watch complication. Very handy!!
Attachments
Screenshot 1765.png
Screenshot 1765.png (229.12 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Screenshot 1766.png
Screenshot 1766.png (59.16 KiB) Viewed 652 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks Ray. That did it. I never noticed the "i" button before. Who knew it was so powerful and brought up that procedure.