Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Phishing

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Phishing

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm

I've seen some nasty-looking phishing emails, ones that might fool or at least frighten some people.
But sometimes I wish I had a Mac lab set up so I could click on the links and see what happens.
This one is almost funny (except for the criminal intent). And yes, it appears they did just rip off the logo from the real Canadian Federal Court. At least they got "you're" and "your" right.
Attachments
court.jpg
court.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Phishing

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am

"...details is..." kind of gives it away. When I get these I like to check the metadata in the FROM: field to see who's doing the sending. I've been getting a lot of stuff from Japan lately.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes, maybe even more than the usual number of English errors. People at Microsoft, I think, hypothesize that it's intended to filter out the skeptical before the chain of links begins. I've seen some phishing attempts that begin "Excuse my bad English..."

"in that of crime engagement"
"You need provide"
"details is not given"
Then there's the fact that it claims the recipient has only 7 days to respond, while the email arrived about seven months after the stated case date.

It's possible that much of the spam I see is probably more correctly called advertising than phishing, judging by the actual embedded links. But maybe those are faked too.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Here's one that's new to me. It's a bit more devious than usual, in that the email itself contains no bogus links, only a pdf attachment. But that pdf does contain bogus links.
Well worth reading:

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-app-s ... hing-scam/
Steve Jobs