Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Numbers calendar help

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TechFear
Forum Member
Forum Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Numbers calendar help

Post by TechFear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am

I have discovered that one of the templates in Numbers is a calendar - hurrah! Well, only hurrah if you want September 2018. When I open the calendar, above the giant word "September" there is a tab that says "Monthly" with a drop down menu. Unfortunately,non of the drop down selections do anything! When I click o "previous month" or "following month" nothing happens! Hope you can help (I a running High Sierra 10.13.6. Thanks!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Numbers calendar help

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 am

When I click on the dropdown (see arrow) I can change the month. (Numbers 5.3)
Attachments
calendar.jpg
calendar.jpg (30.01 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am

Why not use the application Calendar that comes free with the MacOS? What's the advantage of creating a calendar in Numbers?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

My takeaway from this is just how powerful Numbers is as a spreadsheet application!

Yes, this document can be used to print a paper calendar for a selectable month and year. Pretty amazing.

I am still trying to figure out how the formulas calculate the correct date for each cell ... like how is the 25 calculated in the screenshot below. :?

Note the formulas to determine if the date should be printed in grey!
Attachments
Screenshot 1729.png
Screenshot 1729.png (187.74 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Formulas can be figured out once the "hidden cells" are made visible. :idea:

So, the 25 in the previous post is the day taken from the date calculated by "12/1/18 + (1-7)" ... in other words, the date six days before 12/1/2018 ... the 7 indicating that the first of the month occurs on the 7th day of the week (Saturday). Cool!!
Attachments
Screenshot 1730.png
Screenshot 1730.png (149.21 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Ray,
You're getting dangerously close to discussing programming!
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

TechFear
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TechFear » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Thank you! I will look for that drop down menu - I only saw the menu above the calendar document. I need to make a calendar I can add to in my computer. I will try this & also look at calendar app. Will report back!

TechFear
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TechFear » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Well, as usual, the forum has come up trumps for me! I looked for the little menu to change the month, and viola! Once you click on the big word of the current month, the little drop down arrow appears to the right

THANK YOU!!!