Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

MacBook Air Concerns

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

MacBook Air Concerns

Post by KarenColes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 pm

In wondering if my laptop is on it’s last legs. It’s a circa 2012 Air, and it’s been acting strangely lately. I’m frequently getting the “colored spinning wheel of death” which doesn’t persist very long. It also seems to be heating up and the fan is running much of the time, even when I’m just doing some minimal word processing task. Tonight, I decided to shut it down (using the power key) and now I’m getting the white spinning wheel in the middle lower third of the screen. That wheel is obviously never going to stop spinning and let my computer shut down.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by KarenColes on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: MacBook Air Conceens

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:06 am

Why are you shutting it down "using the power key"? That's a sure fire formula for corrupting all kinds of files, including your OS. Click the little black Apple icon in the top left corner, select Shut Down... and then let your Mac go through its normal shut down routine.

Did you mean to title this thread MacBook Air Concerns? I was confused at first.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: MacBook Air Concerns

Post by KarenColes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Probably a poor choice of title. Since I’m concerned about my MacBook Air, the title seemed logical to me. Oh well.

I usually use “shut down” under the Apple icon, but occasionally use the power key (for no logical reason.) I’ll stop doing that, but had to use it again to get rid of the white spinning wheel. I followed it up with the suggested shut down, and all looks normal ... for now.
Last edited by KarenColes on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: MacBook Air Conceens

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Probably a poor choice of title
Just a typoo!

Shutting down with the power button is a little safer than just pulling the plug (which you can't do with a MacBook). But it should be used only when you have no other choice, as in the case you describe. The potential is there for one or more files to be in the process of saving to disk.

I think a single freeze isn't anything to be overly concerned about. But if you keep getting freezes, or see them occurring after certain actions, you certainly need to get to the bottom of the problem.

If your MacBook is running hot, the two obvious possible causes are:
1. a physical problem with the cooling system, for example lint or a failed part
2. a runaway application
To check for 2., look in Activity Monitor and see if an app is using up more CPU cycles than you expect, or if there's an app running that you didn't start. (Note that macOS is actually a big bunch of apps, so you'll see many you don't recognize. But you can look up app names on the web.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs