Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Mac adware cleaner keeps appearing

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Mac adware cleaner keeps appearing

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am

I do not often turn off my computer or restart.
Recently after a trip I turned computer back on and encountered once again some very stubborn windows appearing - apparently related to Mac Adware Cleaner.
To close these windows is tedious, they are very stubborn, red button doesn't respond until I have clicked "no thanks".
Repeated attempts to close finally gets a window with "Congratulations!"

My response is to think: "The nerve. Who invited them to inspect and comment on the state of my computer?

With increased comfidence because of Stephen's reassurance re. updates on app store I yesterday updated first a printer driver and an old minor security fix. That required a restart. After restart I got the same three Mac adware cleaner windows I had encountered before. Again "Congratulations"! :roll:
I took screen shots of these windows before closing them. (I have always been very careful to click only red button and "no thanks".)

I then proceeded with the remaining update (leaving High Sierra OSX installation undone).
This update was security update 2016-004 and required another restart.

After that restart the adware cleaner seems to have gotten bolder. This time there were 5 window. The first one showed 2161 issues they could "improve" for me. The last window was the usual congratulations.

So, before this restart I had carefully closed absolutely all applications. Not only had they apparently analysed my computer for issues that could be improved, but my Quicken Essentials was open to one of the accounts! That was a bit unnerving.
I took screen shots of these windows as well. To illustrate what I am talking about, I attach 3 screen shots.
1) "Congratulations" from the first batch of three windows. From the second batch of 5 windows 2) the "Issues List" and 3) the "Congratulations".

Should I worry? Where did these come from?
Attachments
First Congrat.png
First Congrat.png (121.21 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Issues Listed.png
Issues Listed.png (294.04 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Second Congrat.png
Second Congrat.png (97.99 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mac adware cleaner keeps appearing

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:04 pm

I think this is not an adware cleaner, this is adware.
Other SMUG members may have suggestions on how to fix this. I haven't encountered such things.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks so much, Stephen,

Knowing what this is was empowering!
In application folder I found 3 apps for this adware.
I dragged them to trash and emptied the trash.
According to the last paragraph of an article Erv found for me that should take care of it.

Erv found this article:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203987
Last paragraph in that article:
"If an app isn’t in a folder or doesn’t have an Uninstaller, drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock), then choose Finder > Empty Trash."

rickj
Club Officer

Post by rickj » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am

Here's an article I found telling how to remove it. The first half tells how to remove it manually. The second half tells how to do it using an app called MacBooster that this site seems to be promoting. I personally would follow the manual directions, and stay away from MacBooster.

The instructions all refer to "Advanced Mac Cleaner", but the graphics all show "MacDefender". I would follow the written instructions, although if you encounter any MacDefender Files along the way, delete them too.

Remove Advanced Mac Cleaner virus from Mac OS X
Rick

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 am

Very good, Rick - thank you!
I'll do it this more thorough way if it reappears.
(I think/hope I got rid of it already.)

Kirsten