Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Upgrade and Quicken Essentials

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Upgrade and Quicken Essentials

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am

I use Quicken Essentials and that serves my needs excellently.
I don't do anything fancy like tax preparation or tracking of stocks.

When I upgrade (to El Capitan or High Sierra) I do not want to suddenly lose my capacity for function in Quicken Essentials.

Quicken Essentials will apparently function in El Capitan and not in High Sierra.

I have by now concluded that my only obstacle to High Sierra upgrade would be Quicken Essentials.
My only reason to want to pursue High Sierra rather than El Capitan is so as to be more up-to-date - especially security-wise.

:idea: I have had an idea and I need to formulate it in my layperson's terms.
Could I somehow divide my computer space to have two operating systems, my current Mavericks and High Sierra?
That would enable me to upgrade, generally operate under High Sierra and for Quicken Essentials jump back to Mavericks.
If I could do it that way, I would be able at a later time of my choice ( e.g.beginning of a year) to explore what other basic system might be a good substitute for Quicken Essentials so that I would be able to drop the Mavericks OSX.

One concern in connection with this idea of mine:
Would it negate the added High Sierra security on my computer if I retain a more vulnerable Mavericks (even if I would no longer use that OSX for internet or e-mail)???

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Upgrade and Quicken Essentials

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 am

Kirsten,

Here are a few more ideas to consider:

1. Find an alternative to Quicken Essentials that is current and does all that the chores that you need. For example, if all you do are checkbook and easy financial tracking, consider an dedicated app from the Mac App Store, like Checkbook Pro (see screenshot). Note that Quicken Essentials data can be imported.

2. Might it be time for a new Mac? If you did choose to buy a new Mac having High Sierra, you could migrate all your current apps and data (providing an instant backup), and then experiment to see what works and what doesn't ... knowing that you still have everything intact on your current Mac. Once you are comfortable with High Sierra, Pages 7, and a new financial app, you can sell, gift, or donate your older Mac. Consult with MacTraders in Sequim!!

;)
Attachments
Screenshot 1662.jpg
Screenshot 1662.jpg (426.52 KiB) Viewed 155 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank you, Ray,

Ponder I will. :)
Actually I am...

Quite intrigued by your suggestion number 1.

Not so much by number 2 even though it is a good one.
I still have some attachment to my current computer which has 4 GB memory and currently 889.8 GB space available. Just seems to me it should serve me for a bit longer!

1. Back to your first idea.
As I think about that, I see that I would want to install Checkbook Pro before High Sierra upgrade while my Quicken Essentials still works.
Some concern therefore about version of CheckbookPro to work both now with current Mavericks and later with planned High Sierra.
I have been to Splasm website and see only one Mac possibility for Checkbook Pro.

Does that mean I can expect Checkbook Pro to function in both versions of OSX?
Last edited by Kirsten Ruhl on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 pm

We have used Quicken for ages, and continue to use it in High Sierra, Quicken 2017.
Unfortunately, this is the last version that will be sold as a stand-alone app. It's now subscription only. That's not necessarily bad, or out of reach financially, but it is a bit annoying. Quicken 2017 is still being updated regularly.

I'm pretty sure we could get along with CheckBook Pro or some alternative. We do not download any data, and don't follow stocks, make budgets, do our own taxes or anything fancy like that. We do need a robust search function, Quicken import, and solid backup built in.

Things have changed quite a bit in that now credit cards and banks have much improved online functions.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm

I have just contacted Splasm Support directly with my question:
(Can I expect Checkbook Pro to function in both OSX Mavericks and OSX High Sierra?)

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Response from Splasm Suppoet:
"The current version of CheckBook Pro does indeed work great on both Mavericks and High Sierra."

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Report so far re my conversion to CheckBook Pro:

I downloaded trial version and it took a while to get oriented - as expected.
They have wonderful Help in the form of a long, well-organized and clear .pdf document.
The support is wonderful. I had several questions and they were quickly and clearly answered.
There is also a forum.

Two days later - today I purchased the program and embarked on the import of Quicken Essentials.
It seems to have worked completely! Also it was painless...

I will now work Quicken Essentials and Checkbook Pro concurrently while I learn the ropes in Checkbook Pro.
When I am completely clear on new program I will be free to upgrade to High Sierra without loosing my accounting capacity.

Thank you, Ray for this idea. :D (The capacity for import of Quicken Essentials data was a big enticement for me to go ahead.)