Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Pages '09 function in El Capitan?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Pages '09 function in El Capitan?

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Will Pages '09 open and function in El Capitan?

If not, what version of Pages would be substituted?

I use Pages '09 version 4.3 a lot and is quite content!

Am asking this question because I am considering upgrading from Mavericks to El Capitan.

Kirsten

:D Edit: I just located this issue well explained - so my question is now moot
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7977559

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Pages '09 function in El Capitan?

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm

I have added on my original question an edit to give the answer (which I found after posting the question).

It occurred to me that I should now post the answer again separately so it is obvious that someone (myself - ha) has responded.

So, here it is again:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7977559

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am

Pages 09 opens and seems to work fine in High Sierra.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you, Stephen, for that little, very important piece of info.

It serves also as a subtle nudge :) to go all the way to High Sierra instead of only to El Capitan.
I am now thinking about what that could entail of consequences and I might a bit later start another thread with a subject title more suitable to this new thinking.

Appreciate you and this forum!
Kirsten

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I just meant that if Pages 09 works in High Sierra, it will surely work in any macOS older than that.

It's pretty easy to open and save documents created in Pages 09 as Pages v7 documents. You may have to fix some formatting, and I realize that could be a dealbreaker for some documents.

It is also true that Apple rolls in a lot of security improvements in each OS upgrade, so if it's possible and financially feasible, I recommend keeping your Macs as up to date as you can.

I'm facing that issue. We have an iMac and a MacBook Pro that won't be eligible for Mohave, so we'll have to review our needs.
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for further information, Stephen.

Just to be completely certain:

In High Sierra does Pages '09 not just open and function, but can the work also be saved as Pages '09?
Sorry, but it now isn't clear whether '09 Pages document can be saved as itself, or only as v7. (I think the answer is that the work can be saved as '09, but I want to be absolutely sure before I proceed.)
(Reformatting is precisely what I am worried about in long and complex documents if they get translated into later Pages).

:roll: And here I am finally working on the idea of upgrading to High Sierra and you indicate that Mohave is on its way... Yikes.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Ah, I see what you're getting at.

Here's the deal, I think:
In High Sierra:
I can create a new document in Pages '09 and save it. If I close the document it reopens in Pages '09 as long as Pages '09 is still open.
But if I quit Pages '09, the document then opens in Pages 7.1.

If I go to Get Info and change the Open With app to Pages '09, the OS thinks it's from an unknown developer. I can get around that by control clicking and choosing Open and allowing the document to open, but then it opens in Pages 7.1.

So if you have to stay in Pages '09, you might have to remove Pages 7 from your Mac. Or always use Open With...

All in all kind of a mess based on both apps using the same suffix: .pages.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 pm

I should have asked before: what are the specific issues that make you want to stick with Pages '09?
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 am

Thank you, Stephen for engaging with this issue.

First, let me say that I have both Pages '09 and a newer version 5.2.2. and it works okay for me to have both - but I only use '09!

I am used to being very clear that I must have '09 open before I open a document. If I don't and just open an existing document version 5.2 comes up. When that happens occasionally I just close my document without changing anything and it stays '09 - so this I can deal with just fine.

Regarding issues:
I am writing family history based on a huge volume of research spanning over 40 years (on and off). I have several minor documents, but I am working ongoing on 3 important ones, each one close to 100 pages. I can imagine updating them to later version of Pages, but only on my terms - not being forced at the time of upgrade:
Some time after upgrade of OSX when I'd feel in the mood to experiment and learn about newer Pages version, I would want to make a "save as" '09 version and use that to experiment with by opening it and working on it in newer version. That way if it gets wrecked as I learn how everything works and where the tools are, I just make another "save-as" from the '09 version and tackle it again until it is clear that all is working okay.
In that scenario I would still be able to get some work done by having '09 available.

Basically, I am very happy with what I can do in '09 and am eager to work on the documents, using the tools I am very familiar with, so that I can focus on the contents, rather than where the tools are or just how they work.
So, in a way, I fail to see what advantage I have of changing Pages version.
And if I am going to change it, it cannot be until after I upgrade and it should be with retention of '09 so that I can carry on my work and get somewhere - and then make a project out of experimenting with the newer version when/if I am in the mood to fiddle.

This is why I have concerns about whether '09 can be used after upgrade to High Sierra.

I also have some other considerations re upgrading and I will post them separately to have greater clarity on this forum.

I am grateful for support.
Thank you, Stephen!

Kirsten