Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Goodbye To 32-bit Applications

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Goodbye To 32-bit Applications

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 am

A recent article on CultOfMac says that Apple will not allow 32-bit applications to run on the MacOS after High Sierra. Apple has already notified developers that they need to update their older 32-bit apps to 64-bit ASAP and Apple has stopped accepting new applications for sale in the App Store if they're not 64-bit.

I have a couple older 32-bit programs that I use extensively. If the developers don't upgrade the programs I'm not sure what I'll do. There are obvious solutions with external drives loaded with High Sierra and the older program but having to reboot to another drive and then reboot again back to my Mac's internal drive is a nuisance.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Goodbye To 32-bit Applications

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 pm

It's sometimes a pain to find a replacement for an app that's no longer being updated. But sometimes it works out for the best. Case in point the painful transition I made from QuicKeys to Keyboard Maestro. Now that I'm adjusted to the change, I use KM extensively.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs