Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Maps

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Maps

Post by BarbJ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am

We want to go to a store in Tacoma, but we want to stop at the mall on the way. Is there a way to put stops along the route to your main destination similar to the route planner you can use in Mapquest? I can drop a pin along the route, but I can't figure out how to make a side trip off the main route.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Maps

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am

Interesting question. I don't see any option to add side trip directions to either the Mac or iPhone/iPad versions of the Maps app.

I would suggest that you either create separate sets of directions for each segment of your trip in Maps (your home to mall, and then mall to Tacoma), or just use Mapquest.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by BarbJ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Ray! We are going to the Mac Store at the Tacoma mall. My iPhone went for a swim in the washing machine (the whole heavy duty cycle) I have AppleCare, which we always purchase. The phone had droplets of water that I could see in the photo lens. I stuck it in rice overnight, then I plugged it in, and it showed water droplets on the display screen, but it didn't start up. I called AppleCare and they said I shouldn't plug it in to charge because it's dangerous. Oh well. I survived. I looked at my original AppleCare receipt which was in e-mail on my computer and it said the expiration date on AppleCare is the middle of April 2018. So I was lucky two ways. Ma and Pa Kettle always make a day of it when we go to the big city, so we are going to Ted Brown Music Store too. I just wanted to say, Apple is still Great, in my opinion! (Even though "Maps" could use some improving.)

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Let us know what transpires at the Apple Store.

I would be interested in knowing what AppleCare covers in your (heavy duty cycle) circumstance, if anything.

What would Apple charge you to repair your current iPhone, and how did the AppleCare coverage affect that charge? Like, what would the charge be if you did not have AppleCare?

Did you decide to repair it, or just buy a new phone ... and how did your AppleCare coverage factor into your decision (if at all)?

P.S. I remember Ma and Pa Kettle. Are we showing our age??
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am

Apple has a standard charge ($99) for replacing a user-damaged iPhone. I'm not sure if that means you get a refurbished replacement or a new one.
AppleCare+ includes two incidents of accidental damage coverage. You can use an incident for screen repair or for other damage to your iPhone. Each incident has a service fee, as shown.
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Apple has several other pages on this topic as well.

On the other hand, if your iPhone is not particularly new, maybe a new one would be the way to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Ray is right that Maps does not do multi-step trips. But it's very easy to just start a new trip at your middle destination. You can do that with Siri.
It's useful to put trip destinations in your Contacts list, even if you're planning to delete them after the trip.

I think Tacoma has simplified the freeway-to-Tacoma Mall segment a bit.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by BarbJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 am

We went to the Apple Store in Tacoma and it was a wonderful adventure! The Apple genius said that plugging the phone in shorted the circuits, so it was unrepairable. Even if I hadn't plugged it in, the interior components would probably have corroded and shortened its life. He gave me a replacement phone, the same model gold color iPhone SE for $79.00. My AppleCare expires in a month, and I can't extend it on this phone. We couldn't get out of the store without spending some time drooling over the HomePod. Wow! Even in a crowded noisy store, the Rolling Stones sounded great!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 pm

the Rolling Stones sounded great!
I was just listening to Apple Music's Stones Essentials a few evenings ago.

OTOH, we have four-foot-tall Speakerlab corner horns, and no near neighbors. :)

I wonder if Apple will either make or license the technology to someone who can make an active passover for older speakers. The Home Pod could be the core, placed as a central speaker in a "listening" position, controlling subunit crossovers in the actual speakers.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs