Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Finder has pinwheel of death

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Finder has pinwheel of death

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

1. You don't need another Mac, just another startup volume. You can use an external drive with a clone of your internal drive, an external with just the OS loaded, or the built-in Recovery mode.
See, for example:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/24 ... very-mode/

In my message above, I was talking about sharing an image from Photos to Mail. For adding images to Photos, there are a number of ways. Mail includes a command to Export to Photos. Or you can drag and drop.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Stephen,

What is your opinion of simply going to the App Store and then downloading and re-installing the most current OS? What would be the concern in this case?
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 am

The only downside I can think of is the time it takes to download and install. I haven't had a problem caused by upgrading an OS version for many years.
But without understanding the problems, it's just a shotgun approach.
If you haven't updated to the latest OS version, you could download and install a combo updater (see this SMUG thread).
You can also use the Recovery HD to reinstall the OS. (plenty of instructions on the web)
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:13 am

The latest development is that when the external hard drive containing my Photos Library is connected, I can, as Stephen suggested, select a photo and share it via "Mail". However, I can no longer initiate an email and then "drag and drop" a photo from the Photo Library. This was my normal just a week or two ago. Now I get this (see below), and the notation that the file is still downloading (endlessly).

So, I take it I should follow leads and reinstall the latest OS. Or....Maybe I can "uninstall" the latest OS (High Sierra 10.13.2) and go back to when things worked?

I looked on the forum before installing High Sierra, but did not initially see any info on the High Sierra OS, like warnings or bugs to avoid.

Guess I shoulda' stayed with what I knew...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 11.54.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 11.54.38 PM.png (13.53 KiB) Viewed 987 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am

Try dragging the image first to your desktop--so it moves from your external drive to your internal drive.
Then drag it to Mail.

Or try using the Share button in Photos, as I described above.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm

However, I just ran a test. I opened an external drive, navigated to a jpg image in a folder and dragged it to a new email message in Mail. No problem.
(I can't duplicate your exact situation, as my external is a Time Machine drive.)
So is there any difference for you if you drag and drop an image from a Finder window on your external drive, compared to dragging and dropping from Photos?

What happens if you take an email with an icon like the one you show above (looks like a download icon) and send it to yourself? If it still appears with an icon when you receive it, what happens if you click on the icon?
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 am

Stephen,

I'll get back to you on that.