Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Apple reduces price on iPhone batteries

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple reduces price on iPhone batteries

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Strange things happened. On the morning of 4/09 I received an email that Apple had received the iPhone and the replacement battery would be installed soon. Then on 4/10 I received another email telling me that my "product" had shipped. But my iPhone had gone to CA and the product was shipping from PA. How could my iPhone have gotten from CA to PA, repaired and shipped in less than 24 hours?

Then I received another email telling me that Apple decided not to install a new battery but to send me a refurb instead. The refurb had shipped from PA and areived on 4/11. But my iPhone was just fine other than I wanted a new battery for the $29 price. Why send a refurb replacement?

The refurb was the same model, storage size, and color of my original and the exterior was pristine. If I hadn't known it was a refurb I woouldn't have been able to tell by looking at it.
Last edited by Richard Serkes on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:26 pm

One possibility is that after telling you there were batteries available, and receiving your iPhone, the repair site didn't have any batteries. Rather than disappoint you, they sent a refurb.
At least sometimes, refurbs get new glass and case.
My iPhone 6 was in the earlier battery recall, and Apple sent me a new iPhone 6, not even a refurb.

Also, "repoared" isn't a word, but it should be! Something to do with row boats. :P
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Are you sure "repoared" isn't a word?
---

rickj
Club Officer

Post by rickj » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm
Are you sure "repoared" isn't a word?
From Objects & Evidence
Hee presented her Matie with his Pandecta of All her Rolls, Bundells, Membranes, & parcells that bee repoared in her Maties Tower att London; whereof she hadd given to him the charge …
And I thought Google was only good for looking up who played Schneider on One Day at a Time.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 am

I had no idea Richard was that old.

Seriously, folks, there's this:

Apple bringing in more labor to cope with surge of iPhone battery replacements
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:30 pm

I emailed my AppleCare contact who handled the whole process asking him why I got a refurb rather than just the battery replacement. He did some checking and got back to me with the following... When they were doing the battery replacement they ran a lot of diagnostic tests and found that some components were not giving good numbers and were probably going to fail. So they sent me a refurb. For all intents and purposes they sent me a new iPhone 6 Plus. The warranty had expired over a year ago but Apple replaced the unit without my asking.

Is there another company that would do something like that?
---