Hughesnet

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Davidkob
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hughesnet

Post by Davidkob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my Internet post. Continuing, anyone know anything about HughesNet satellite service? Looks like fantastic speed, 2 year contract, and 10gbs data. If I don't stream video, what kind of data speed is required?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Hughesnet

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 pm

In the past, at least, the issues with satellite are a significant delay and a huge antenna.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Barbara
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by Barbara » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 am

We're out here in Joyce, where internet service is very limited. We had Hughesnet for many years, but dropped it about 5 years ago for Verizon's Jetpack. The big problem we experienced with Hughesnet was that if you needed any repair service, the repair people came from Tacoma. Service was very slow. Also, their Customer Service was located in India. Maybe service is better now.

We're satisfied with Verizon. We mainly use our iPhone Hotspot for internet access and will be dropping the Jetpack. Our iPhones pick up the signal better that the Jetpack. The Jetpack is a couple years old, so that may be part of the signal problem. Also, Verizon's Customer Service is in the good old USA! No talking-to off shore service folks.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

This is slightly off topic, but I've been a Verizon customer for a very long time and have always found their support staff to be top notch.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs