Internet provider

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
davekob
Forum Member
Forum Member

Internet provider

Post by davekob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Does anyone know anything, or have experience with a Sequim Company named NIKOLA BROADBAND? Their site list a number of options for speed and data.
My internet speed is so slow that it took all night to download the latest IPad update.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this company.
Dave

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Internet provider

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

I've never used them, being out of their territory, but have never heard anything bad about them. My understanding is that their specialty is wireless, so a real issue would be whether your location is accessible to their tower.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 am

I think Rick Johnston uses them so try contacting Rick. But Stephen is right you have to be under their umbrella of coverage which varies considerably based on topography and distance from a repeater. They have maps online but I think you can call them and they'll let you know if they can provide service.

Have you considered satellite? HughesNet now has some amazing speeds but you have to pay a premium for satellite coverage and based on which subscription you sign up for there are data caps during peak hours. Check out their website for details.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

ChrisO
Club Officer

Post by ChrisO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:04 pm

I have used Nikola for several years now, and they are excellent. They cover areas where there is no other option, like where I am near the Dungeness NRA.

They do not have Wave Broadband speeds, but what I get (5mbps) is fast enough for what I do, including streaming through DirecTV, Apple TV, Roku, and using my "smart" Blu ray DVD apps.

I can't recommend Hughes Net unless you have no other options, or don't need a lot of bandwidth per month. Look at what they limit you to- it's a ridiculously small amount of data, and unless you don't download (actually, stream) a lot you're gonna go over.

Nikola gives you 150 gigabytes a month and unless you seriously go over (I went over to 250g+ one month, I think they charged me $10 extra) they ignore the overage, and do not throttle you.

I definitley recommend Nikola.

Chris

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:20 pm

davekob wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm
Does anyone know anything, or have experience with a Sequim Company named NIKOLA BROADBAND? Their site list a number of options for speed and data.
My internet speed is so slow that it took all night to download the latest IPad update.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this company.
Dave
I've had them for close to 10 years and have no complaints at all.
Rick