Possible scam phone call from "Apple Support".

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Possible scam phone call from "Apple Support".

Post by jest2dogs » Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Well, I've been treating it as a scam, anyway.

A computerized voice claiming to be "Molly" has called on our landline three times today claiming to be from Apple Support, informing us of an iCloud breach. She suggests we call a number for further information (I didn't write it down, but it began with 874, I think), or "she" could connect me with a technician right now.

I, of course, hang up. Sounds fishy, smells fishy.

Just checking. I'm sure it's a scam but some Apple users might bite on the lure.

On a second note, I intended to inform Apple Support directly about this call, but all inquiries are based on a device and serial number and "support" seems to be based on whether the device is in warranty or not, otherwise, I surmise, a fee is imposed.

Last year I called Apple Support on a used (2015) MBP and they were happy to help, warranty or not. The tech said that new policy was they weren't charging for their support anymore. Was this a temporary thing? (Like the satellite companies come-ons, "Your first three months are only $24 !!"). He led me to believe it was new policy. But when I went online to Apple Support just now, their home page was anything but open and free sounding.

-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Possible scam phone call from "Apple Support".

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Sounds like a scam to me. I've never heard of Apple calling anyone about anything, except in response to an active support issue.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Possible scam phone call from "Apple Support".

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed May 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Molly's called me four times today. I think she likes me. My wife's beginning to become suspicious.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.