Group contact list on iPad

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Davidkob
Forum Member
Forum Member

Group contact list on iPad

Post by Davidkob » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Two questions. How do you create a GROUP contact name on the iPad, then enter the contact names? (I can create these on my Mac and they come up on the iPad), but have figured out how to on the iPad.

Second, when I attempt to send an email to a current group, it will list the group name but does NOT auto fill the contacts. How do you get all group contacts to show?

Here is my problem. On my Windows system I search a topic, download and name a .pdf file. There are several different reports (all different names) that are then selected as a attachment and then are distributed to a specific group.

I have not been able to figure out how to do this on my iDevices (IPad or Mac).

Thanks in advance

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Group contact list on iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:34 am

Apple's page only mentions groups once:
"If you have multiple accounts set up in the Contacts app and want to see contacts for a specific one, open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner."
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207207
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 am

David,

In short, you can't (at this point) create a Contacts group on an iDevice (iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch). As you have discovered already, the Groups can be created on your Mac, and then used on your iPad.

And just a suggestion: It is in your best interest in getting help with posted problems if you post them in separate threads, rather than asking for help with two or three different issues in a single post.

;)

And on my iPhone and iPad (when using iOS 10.3), all members of the group DO get listed when using Mail to send to a group. I don't know what happens in previous versions of iOS.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 pm

I am not sure I understand what you mean by
Here is my problem. On my Windows system I search a topic, download and name a .pdf file. There are several different reports (all different names) that are then selected as a attachment and then are distributed to a specific group.

I have not been able to figure out how to do this on my iDevices (IPad or Mac).
Specifically, when you say "several different reports that are then selected as an attachment", are you saying that you just want to attach a .pdf file to a group email? If so, just save the .pdf to the Desktop first on the Mac, or on an iPad save the .pdf to iBooks and then use the Share option.

Maybe a specific example of what you are attempting would help.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.