Keynote video sound problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Keynote video sound problem

Post by KarenColes » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:20 pm

As a novice Keynote user, I'm fumbling around trying to put a video clip into my presentation. I've downloaded the YouTube video to my desktop, and when I double click on it there, Quicktime Player opens it up and plays it fine. But when I drag it onto my Keynote slide and try to play it, the video plays fine, but there is no sound. I've got the sound turned up on my Macbook Air, and I've checked the Keynote Inspector where the sound is also shown at full volume.

What am I missing here?

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Keynote video sound problem

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:29 am

Karen,
Here is my first thought ... assuming that you are using Keynote 7:
Having first selected the movie, do you have the volume slider all the way to the right as shown in this screenshot?

Note that the Inspector is gone in version 7. Is your movie a .mov? If not, it may need to be converted.
Attachments
Keynote Volume.jpg
Keynote Volume.jpg (200.98 KiB) Viewed 534 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 am

Here is some more info:

Video and audio files must be in a format that QuickTime supports on your Mac. If you can’t add or play an video or audio file, try using iMovie, QuickTime Player, or Compressor to convert the file to a QuickTime file, in MPEG-4 audio or H.264 (720 p) video format.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Ray. It will be a day or 2 before I can get back to this project when I'm back home. Guess I need to start by updating Keynote since the Inspector is readily available in the version I'm using. Stay tuned for my progress report.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:14 am

My version of Keynote is Keynote '09 version 5.3. I just upgraded my Mac to Sierra 10.12.3 thinking that maybe the new version of Keynote would be included. But since that didn't happen, I guess I need to pay $19.99 to get it, right?

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 am

Whoa!!

I just tried running my Keynote presentation again, and mysteriously it pulled up Keynote 6.6.2, and my video seems to run perfectly, complete with sound. Apparently ..... problem solved.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:28 am

And .... it gets better (I think.) Now I got a message about a free update to Keynote v7.0.5 which I'm installing. That should get me running on all cylinders.