AirPods

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

AirPods

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 am

Here is some info on the new AirPods.
Attachments
Airpods.png
Airpods.png (349 KiB) Viewed 628 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: AirPods

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 am

I have a pair ordered and will report when they get here, the middle of next month. From what I've read, they're still on 6 weeks backorder.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Got my AirPods yesterday (after a several-day delay in Seattle*).
This may be the most magical Apple device I've ever had. The case/charger is about the size of a fat dental floss container. It's flip top is magnetic. The AirPods fit inside and are also held in by magnets, so there's no issue of not getting them in far enough to charge. The case contains a battery so the AirPods charge even if the case is not plugged into a Lightning/USB cable.

Pairing is super simple. You just 1. unlock your iPhone, 2. flip open the case and 3. a button appears on your screen asking if you want to pair the AirPods. There is no step 4.
My wife's iPhone was automatically paired as well because iCloud. There is a manual pairing procedure for non-iCloud devices, or if another iOS device is logged into a different Apple ID. (My wife uses two Apple IDs.)

I haven't tried them extensively, but in a brief listen to Apple Music they sounded great.

There are several things I do where cordlessness is a virtue. I've caught ear phone cords on my exercise machine several times. Mowing the lawn also presents cord-tangle hazards. And in my shop, during the few activities where I'd want to wear earphones, cords would also be hazardous.

* Somewhere deep in the bowels of Apple's databases, there's a wrong city listed for my address. I can't fix the problem; my Apple ID is correct. This is a relatively new problem because I've received Apple shipments at home for decades, but this is the second recent shipment that went to Seattle. Apparently I have to call Apple Tech Support.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I paired the AirPods with my iPhone first.
They showed up on my wife's iPhone, but she did have to choose them as output, as follows:

swipe up from any screen to see the Control Center
swipe right to left to see the Audio Control Screen it's right of the Control Center)
touch the icon on the lower left to choose output
choose AirPods (which had my name attached to them)
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Sounds like they'd work great while on my rowing erg! I hate the cords of ear buds as I am always trying to get into a pocket or my dog/cat/pet teradactyl plays with them. A little pricey for me right now. Next ship!

-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am

We've been using them daily and it's really handy not to have the cords. I also paired them with my iMac yesterday. That's convenient, as I have speakers plugged into the iMac's headphone jack, and unplugging the speakers without muting causes a big pop.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 pm

BTW, if you have problems with the tiny print in the tiny pamphlet that came with your AirPods, put this link in your synced links, so it's on all your devices:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207010
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 am

I just noticed today an article on the high satisfaction rate in polls about AirPods. We've been more than satisfied with them, and one or both of us uses them daily.

However, there is one issue with sharing a pair of AirPods that might drive one to buy a second pair. Yesterday I was in one part of the house, choosing the AirPods as output on my iPhone. Suddenly, I was on the receiving end of a phone call my wife was involved in. Of course, she then couldn't hear the conversation, and I couldn't talk to the other person.
Once I got the AirPods selected, which takes a few moments, the issue was resolved.
Steve Jobs