DiskWarrior Error code 2159

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

DiskWarrior Error code 2159

Post by Norrie Johnson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 am

When using DiskWarrior in the Directory Mode every time I get to the end of step 9 instead of giving me the “Report” it says it cannot finish due to error 2159 -43:6770

I have the latest version of DW and I tried it on my iMac, MacBook Air and my wife’s MacBook Pro with the same results. I called customer support at Alsoft and they were not much help. The first time I ran it after upgrading to Sierra it worked fine. I have made a new “Recovery Disk” and that comes up with the same error code?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been using DiskWarrior since before OS X and it has been my “go too” when having problems.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: DiskWarrior Error code 2159

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Have you tried using DiskWarrior when started up from a different drive? If that fails also, I'd suspect that the problem drive has hardware issues.
Another potentially useful diagnostic tool is Smart Utility. It only works on internal drives, but will give you some hardware information.

If you can, clone the problem drive to an external drive that you know is good. I use Carbon Copy Cloner, but others use other applications. Note that a bootable clone is different than a Time Machine backup. If you have a Time Machine backup, I'd suggest restoring it to an external drive.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 am

Stephen,

I have started up from a cloned drive, used it on a new recovery drive made with DW and tried it on a clone of the drive with same results. I have tried running DW on my iMac, MacBook Air, my wife's MacBook Pro and a couple of external drives with the same results. I am thinking that my DW thumb drive is corrupt?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:27 am

It is possible that the DW thumb drive is corrupt, but I'd expect it would just not work at all in that case.

You can install DW on any drive, then start up from that drive and run DW on another drive. So if DW is installed on your clone, you can run DW when started up from that clone. No need for any thumb drive.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:03 am

Problem solved! I replaced the DW app with one from a clone of my hard drive that was done before the problem started and it works fine now. Apparently the one that was giving me problems must of had a bug in it? Thanks Stephen for you're help!