SMUG library

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

SMUG library

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 pm

I still have floppy discs from the late 1980's SMUG library. Why do I keep this stuff?

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: SMUG library

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Looks like a nice quick run to the transfer station..... alas.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am

You never really throw anything away, you just put it somewhere else.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Jay Cline wrote:You never really throw anything away, you just put it somewhere else.
Centuries in the future, some urban archeologist will dig up the SMUG library, with some of the floppies perfectly preserved, from a landfill (in eastern Oregon?), right next to preserved hot dogs and Twinkies. They'll read the floppies with scanning atomic force microscopes (desktop accessories by then). Then they'll give an historical presentation to their Macbrainimplant user group.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 pm

LIVING WITH OBSOLESCENCE
by Larry Haas

I bought my first Mac, a 128K model, on a Saturday in September 1984. That same day Apple announced the 512K model, the so-called “Fat Mac,” instantly making my Mac obsolescent. (Fortunately, the word didn’t filter down to Port Angeles until the following Monday, leaving me blissfully unaware of my fate for one whole weekend.)
Competition-driven obsolescence is a fact of life for computer users. Microprocessor manufacturers (Motorola, Intel, etc.) are effectively doubling the “horsepower” of their chips every two years. That pace will likely continue at least through the 1990s. As newer chips become available, hardware manufacturers release new computers, printers, etc. to exploit the speed and capabilities of the new chips. Any hardware maker who doesn’t meet the relentless pace will be buried by its competitors. The hardware improvements, in turn, drive new versions of system and application software.
(I had to open this Word file in TextEdit!)
Attachments
obsolescence.jpg
obsolescence.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs