Photos - Albums

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
maureen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Photos - Albums

Post by maureen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Is there any way to MOVE pictures to an album? I was trying to clear out some photos in "Photos" by making an ALBUM and thought the photos would move there. Instead, I now have the same ones in two places.

I tried deleting a photo from one place and it deleted it from BOTH places!

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Photos - Albums

Post by rickj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 pm

maureen wrote:Is there any way to MOVE pictures to an album? I was trying to clear out some photos in "Photos" by making an ALBUM and thought the photos would move there. Instead, I now have the same ones in two places.

I tried deleting a photo from one place and it deleted it from BOTH places!

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Your photos are only in one place, "Photos". When you create an album, Photos just keeps a list of the photos that you put in that album. When you display the contents of your album, Photos finds all the photos on that list and displays them. If you delete a photo from an album, it just removes it from the list. It's still in Photos. If you delete it from Photos, it's gone.

As far as I know, there's no way to have a photo in an album, but not in Photos.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:16 am

Photos differs from Aperture with respect to how you can organize individual images.

In Aperture, you can create an "Album," which is equivalent to a folder full of aliases in the OS X Finder. No image file exists in an Album, just an alias. Deleting the image from an Album (opt del for me) does not delete the actual file.
In Aperture, you can also create a "Project," which is equivalent to a folder full of files in the OS X Finder. When you move an image to a Project, the actual original file (and any "versions") is moved to the Project. Deleting an image from a Project moves the actual file to the Aperture trash folder.

In Photos, you only have Albums, with the same definition as in Aperture. Here's Apple's page on Photos Albums:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21308?locale=en_US
Delete a photo or item from the library--Command-Delete

Remove a photo from an album (but not from the library)--Delete
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

maureen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by maureen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Thank you for responding, I should have started learning 40 years ago! I appreciate your help.