Need advice

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Need advice

Post by RWehner » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 pm

I’m having lots of problems with my 4 month old IMac. For starters, I can receive, but not send mail from the mail app. I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple to no avail. Another problem I have is a hard time getting on Safari, facebook and gmail. Most of the time I get a white page and it freezes, it does not open the site. Sometimes I get a message “Safari can not open the site”. I only have trouble opening those three. Other sites open 100% of the time but sometimes do not open pictures that are included in the site. To open Safari, facebook or gmail I have to go to a site that I can open (CNN webloc, for ex) then click on “home” which opens Google. Once I’m at that point I can usually, but not always go to one of the other 3 by double clicking its icon. Once I get everything to open, I am usually good until the next day and then the problems start all over again. Once the entire computer locked up, I could not restart, I had to pull the plug and go from there. Is there somebody in the area that I can hire, or should I take it to Seattle? I feel it would be to difficult to explain over the phone, they would have see it themselves.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Need advice

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Who is your internet service provider? What email address do you use? Does it make a difference if you use another web browser such as Firefox or Chrome to view Facebook, etc.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:20 am

And a couple more questions:

How does the iMac perform with tasks that don't involve the internet? Are menus slow to open? Do any particular apps seem very sluggish?

What kind of internet connection do you have? If it's DSL, for example, you can check the status of your DSL modem by entering http://192.168.0.1/ in the browser search bar. Even if you no longer have the directions, it should be easy to find the modem status and see if your speeds are nominal.

You can also sometimes clear up problems with internet access by merely unplugging the modem, waiting a minute, and plugging it back in.
Attachments
modem.jpg
modem.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 am

my cable service is through Wavecable, and I use their mail server. I have not tried another browser yet. When I send email, I log into the Wavecable website and that works - I keep their icon on my desktop. I do have a Macbook pro and have no trouble sending mail using the mail icon on it, so it's not the server. I realized that my laptop was online via wifi and my IMac was online via ethernet cable. Last night I unplugged the ethernet and switched to wifi. So far this morning everything is fine except I still cannot send mail without logging into the wavecable website. I have thought of switching mail servers but that would require notifying all of my contacts - friends, Drs, banks, etc, and I'm not ready to go through that right now.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:51 pm

Have you called Wave? You should have plenty of speed for any but the most demanding multiple simultaneous uses.

Why are you using web mail? Is it because using Apple Mail doesn't work? If so, you may need to get Wave to walk you through the account setup in Mail.

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Wave account

Note that this is not the same as Mail > Accounts.

Also, your iMac should be plenty fast and capable for any of this.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:40 pm

If you want local assistance with your Mac call David Hannon at 460-3827 or email david@blueskymactech.com
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.