.PLST File For Mail

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: .PLST File For Mail

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Fixed! But I have no explanation as to how or why.

I signed out of my personal accountant went into the Guest account. I opened Mail and had to establish one of my email accounts. When I did that I was able to look at Mail/Preferences and there was that damn other email program as the default. It's almost as if it had followed me from my personal account to the Guest account. Then I changed the default to Mail and closed Mail. Then I opened Mail and lo and behold the default was Mail. It had stuck. I closed it again and when reopened the default email program was Mail. Hmmmmm. So I deleted the email account from within Mail so it couldn't be used by a bad person who might steal my Mac and then I signed out of Guest.

After going back into my personal account I opened Mail and the default was ...wait for it... MAIL! I closed Mail and reopened it and the default was still Mail. So the problem is fixed but why changing it in a Guest email account, deleting the Guest email account then reopening Mail in my personal account would do the trick is beyond my pay grade. Sort of like the ancient Egyptians and aspirin. They knew it relieved pain but didn't know how or why.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:So this is the same problem where you tried out another app Airmail and it got stuck as the default Mail program?
Did you ever find a way to change the default in that other app Airmail?

Here's a developer forum that speaks of this issue. The solution was to clear Launch Services. That means you'll have to reset any apps you've chosen to replace the default app for opening file types. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/14502

The Airmail site has a link to this dev post.

Here's a blog post with another solution: sign out of iCloud, change default in Mail, sign back into iCloud. Sounds benign.
https://nickjvturner.wordpress.com/2015 ... il-client/
Yup, it was Airmail.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 am

It does sound as if Launch Services was the culprit. At least that's a good-enough assumption that you don't have to suspect friendly (for the moment) poltergeists.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

APPLE TWITTER TEAM HANDLING 100 QUESTIONS PER HOUR

Having only launched a day ago, Apple's new "customer support" Twitter account has already picked up 125,000 followers, and the team behind it have found themselves answering inquiries at an average rate of over 100 questions per hour. Real-time social media analytics firm Keyhole says that the Twitter page has been viewed 124 million times, by an audience that is 77 percent male, with 45 percent viewing the page on an iPhone. Users can send a tweet with a question to @AppleSupport, and will get a Direct Message requested more details if needed. Answers are provided between 5AM and 8PM Pacific. http://bit.ly/1QSwvHv
According to Mac News Network
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:

Having only launched a day ago, Apple's new "customer support" Twitter account has already picked up 125,000 followers, and the team behind it have found themselves answering inquiries at an average rate of over 100 questions per hour. Real-time social media analytics firm Keyhole says that the Twitter page has been viewed 124 million times, by an audience that is 77 percent male, with 45 percent viewing the page on an iPhone. Users can send a tweet with a question to @AppleSupport, and will get a Direct Message requested more details if needed. Answers are provided between 5AM and 8PM Pacific. http://bit.ly/1QSwvHv
According to Mac News Network
Just another tool of Satan.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:

Just another tool of Satan.
They said the same thing about the internal combustion engine, women getting the right to vote, Legos, the theory of evolution...
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.