Can't Partition New Portable HD

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Can't Partition New Portable HD

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 pm

OK, I just bought a new 2TB portable hard drive and the Disk Utility feature to Partition is grayed out. If I click on the internal hard drive the Partition feature is ready to go so it's not a problem with Disk Utility.

First thing I did was to reformat the new drive to OS X Extended (Journaled) in preparation to do the partitioning. And I also made sure it was plugged into a powered USB port on my Macbook although I don't know why that would make a difference as compared to plugging it into an unpowered USB hub. But when I tried to use Partition it was not available to me.

Any ideas?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Can't Partition New Portable HD

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:48 pm

OK, I just bought a new 2TB portable hard drive and the Disk Utility feature to Partition is grayed out. If I click on the internal hard drive the Partition feature is ready to go so it's not a problem with Disk Utility.
If I look at my twin Time Machine drives, I have the option to partition if I select the drive, but not if I select the partition. Is that what you're seeing?

FWIW, here's Apple's El Cap partition instructions: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22240?locale=en_US

BTW, if you click on the little info button, you get a whole window with tons of information.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
If I look at my twin Time Machine drives, I have the option to partition if I select the drive, but not if I select the partition. Is that what you're seeing?

FWIW, here's Apple's El Cap partition instructions: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22240?locale=en_US

BTW, if you click on the little info button, you get a whole window with tons of information.
I understand that you partition a drive not a partition. As you can see on the attachment I have the drive (WD My Passport) selected but the option for Partition is grayed out. That is not the case when I select either Ext Hard Disk Me... or APPLE SSD SM02...
Attachments
screenshot_262.jpg
screenshot_262.jpg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 920 times
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Never Mind! This new drive came with all kinds of Windows software preloaded. I thought the reformatting would take care of it all but maybe not because I just ran several TechTool Pro utilities on it and TTP found all kinds of problems after I had done the reformat. After TTP did its thing the Partition feature was available and worked. Not that anyone is ever going to listen to anything I have to say but I wish manufacturers would stop putting all this crap on our devices. If they want to offer it as a bonus, so be it but make it available as a download.

And while I'm on a rant, I really DON'T like the new Disk Utility/Partition feature. In the old version of Disk Utility you could set up all the partitions you wanted and then have them all created in one fell swoop. Now you have to do them one at a time "borrowing" space from what is left. This is awkward and definitely a step back.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Long ago, I settled on buying drives from OWC because of various problems from other companies. Two close acquaintances have been stung by the LaCie power supply problem. I've read a fair amount about problems with some drives that present as two devices, one that takes precedence.

The OWC drives are all just drives. There's nothing left over after you partition them. No on-board buttons. No issues at all.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 pm

The 1TB drive that's being replaced is a OWC and has worked flawlessly for several years but I need a portable drive and OWC really doesn't make those other than some really pricey SSDs. The biggest they have is 1TB and it runs $499.99.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 pm

The two I have are OWC Mercury Elite mini 2.0TB 5400 USB 3 at $169 each. It looks like they're a bit more now.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20 ... UM5T20GB8/

The ones in the plastic enclosure are discounted to $138.75 at the moment. Normally, they seem to be the same price as the aluminum ones.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSU35S2.0T32/

I didn't opt for the ones with FireWire 800, as my new iMac didn't have that. (But now I have the OWC Thunderbolt Dock, so I do have FireWire 800 available, for older drives.)
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:53 am

Darn, I didn't see those. But even with the plastic case it's still $50+ more than the Western Digital I just bought.
---

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 am

Agree.... I just got my first of the OWC plastic case 1 Tb Mercury Elite's and it's sweet. I didn't compare prices very much, having been a steady OWC customer for so many years. But this thing is strongly made, very compact, and fast.