Bluetooth keyboard won't connect.

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Bluetooth keyboard won't connect.

Post by jest2dogs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Okay, I have an Apple keyboard. We have my 15"MBP, Barb's 13"MBP, one iPad and two iPhones.

It will not connect to my 15" MBP with El Capitan.

It will connect to my iPad. I just found it, unexpectedly connected to my iPhone (the second iPhone is not in the building). Both iOS devices are now disconnected from keyboard and Bluetooth turned off.

Keyboard still displayed steady green light when turned on. When bluetooth was searching for it, it twice found a keyboard but would not connect.

Apple advises if green LED is "steady" then it has paired with a device.

On a whim, I checked my wife's MBP. Bluetooth was on and my keyboard was displayed. I turned her bluetooth off but other than that do not know how, or if I need to "unpair" or otherwise, "remove" the keyboard from her computer.

After "forget this device" was clicked on the phone, the green light started blinking, and the keyboard was momentarily recognized "found one keyboard" on my MBP. Then light went solid, non-blinking. But no keyboard ever appeared on the MBP. Now its on steady but all blueteeth are off except for my MBP. Do I need to do something else?

I could open a window and see if this 15" MBP has any unique flight characteristics...

P.S. Batteries are new and good and installed the correct way (+ side inwards).

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Bluetooth keyboard won't connect.

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:50 am

I think you do need to delete the device from the list in System Preferences > Bluetooth on the Mac you no longer want to be paired with. You can imagine the fun and games if two Macs were paired with one keyboard!

I'm pretty sure we had exactly this problem when I'd test paired a keyboard with a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro was in another room unused, but I couldn't pair the keyboard with my iMac.
Attachments
bluetooth.jpg
bluetooth.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 457 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Bluetooth keyboard won't connect.

Post by jest2dogs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:18 am

Stephen,

That was it!.

I was looking for a way to "unpair". What had happened, is that, with her Bluetooth turned "off", no "X" appeared to edit the device. Once I turned bluetooth back on it was an easy-peasy fix.

And here I was, kinda looking forward to one keyboard, two devices. Oh, the havoc that would reign! (Heh, heh, heh)