Slow iMac, credit card compromised; Virus?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Slow iMac, credit card compromised; Virus?

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 pm

We have noticed our 2009 iMac running Yosemite performing significantly slower over the last few months; then last week, there was unauthorized use of my credit card. I understand that a 'Repair Drive' process through the 'Disk Utility' app. is in order but I have a few questions:
1- Is there a likelihood of a virus infection?
2- If so, what can I do to remove it?
3- Should I back-up the system with the possibility of a virus on board, thereby infecting the back-up, or can I back-up, clean the drive, then clean the back-up?
Thank you for your help
PV Hansen

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Slow iMac, credit card compromised; Virus?

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:35 pm

It's unlikely in the extreme that a "virus" is involved. I've not read about any such thing on OS X. (I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it hasn't happened yet.)

We've had a couple of instances in the last few years of fraudulent charges to our credit cards. In all cases the origin was either completely unknown or because of an online seller having their database hacked. In all cases, the credit card companies merely replaced the cards in a timely manner and no other fraudulent charges have appeared.

Repair in Disk Utility cannot have any effect on credit card fraud, as far as I've ever read. It might, but probably won't, have any effect on the slowdown.

You might want to check https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987 and http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php. It's possible that a user accidentally downloaded some adware scam software. If you've installed any so-called antivirus software, post the details here.

Backing up is always a good idea. If you think there's a possibility of some serious corruption, backing up to a separate hard drive from the ones used in previous backups is a good idea. Then you can proceed with what ever fixes seem prudent.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs