News from the December Sequim Meeting

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

News from the December Sequim Meeting

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Several bits of club business were discussed and finalized at the Sequim SMUG meeting last Tuesday night (December 1).

1. All club officers are now in place for 2016. Craig Gottschalk has agreed to assume the president position at the time when I will need to leave the club and move away. I have agreed to continue as president until that time. Glenn Gilliam has agreed and members unanimously voted to continue serving as vice-president in 2016. Chris Ogden has agreed and was unanimously voted to take over the post of club treasurer. Ray Bentsen has agreed to remain as the club's web manager and forum moderator (I trust with the help of Richard Serkes, but Richard was not present at the meeting).

2. A plea was made for volunteers to serve on the refreshments committee for Sequim meetings. No one came forward at the meeting. Our existing crew (Joanne Kidd, Trish Gaine, and Rita Thatcher) agreed to provide food once again at the February Sequim meeting... but if no one volunteers between now and then we will simply discontinue our normal practice of serving goodies.

3. A similar situation on food committee volunteers for Port Angeles also exists. Patrick Noonan and Jane Longo, our faithful Port Angeles volunteers have kindly offered to bring food once again for the January PA meeting... but if no one else volunteers between now and then we will once again, suspend our pleasant gourmet activities thereafter.

4. By unanimous vote, we decided to set 2016 club dues at $12 per year. Members may renew at the next club meeting or may send checks to our new club treasurer, Chris Ogden. His contact info is now on the front page of the SMUG website. Dues for new members are pro-rated at $1 per month for each successive month of the year. The former discount for early payment was eliminated. You'll have to fork out the whole amount.... 12 big ones. Cheap!

5. At the Port Angeles November meeting it was decided we should conduct a poll asking whether the club should donate $300 to the North Olympic Library System (NOLS) as a token of thanks for our use of their facility six times each year. A link to the poll was addressed to all SMUG members who had paid dues in either 2014, 2015 or both years. The results were clear and overwhelming: 79 members responded.... 86% voting in favor of making the donation. A second question asked whether the funds should be restricted to a particular subject (e.g., technology) or used by the Library as they see fit. In this case, 69% of respondents voted to make the donation unrestricted. I have asked our treasurer, Barbara Poznanovic, to make that donation.

Club members gave me an inscribed desktop memento with thanks from SMUG (because I was to have already been gone!) and also brought a cake with another kind message of thanks (which the members helped me wolf down). Thanks, always to all of you for keeping our club alive and vibrant. I'm always delighted to see 50-80 members at each of our monthly meetings. I counted 53 in the room at this last meeting....

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: News from the December Sequim Meeting

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Kudos, Jerry. Best. SMUG President. Ever.

And I say that with some authority.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs