Can I still upgrade to Yosemite?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Can I still upgrade to Yosemite?

Post by anne murray » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Greetings,

I am still using 10.7 on both of my computers. I would like to upgrade to Yosemite rather than El Capitan. Is that possible? I cannot find a way to do that on Apple's website.

Many thanks,

Anne Murray

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Can I still upgrade to Yosemite?

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 pm

If you have previously downloaded Yosemite, you can download it again. If not, you'll need to get the installer from someone who has it saved or has downloaded it previously, preferably someone with a fast internet connection. (As far as I can see, the Mac App Store doesn't have Yosemite for download.)

I would say that unless there's a specific app you know won't work in El Capitan* you wouldn't notice all that much difference, and may as well update to El Capitan.

* The one thing I found was that my 8-year-old HP ScanJet G4050 flatbed scanner is no longer supported by HP in El Capitan. But there may be other specific issues.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:08 am

My almost 15 year old HP LaserJet 5000GN still works under El Capitan.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 am

Jay Cline wrote:My almost 15 year old HP LaserJet 5000GN still works under El Capitan.
I suspect printer drivers are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
In this case HP has acknowledged the issue and recommends VueScan, which did work when I tried out the demo. VueScan works by using the old HP Scanjet driver.

I opted for a new Epson V600, which cost only a little more than twice as much as VueScan Pro (required for transparency scanning). (I'm not dissing VueScan. Lots of people swear by it, and if I was talking about a $2000 scanner, I'd call VueScan's price reasonable.)
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:39 am

I think I still may have the Yosemite installer on one of my backup disks. But I agree with Stephen that as a practical matter you would see no difference between Yosemite and El Capitan. The main thing I'm running into when helping folks with older computers is that these newer systems (both Yosemite and El Cap) really need to have 4 Gb of RAM minimum, and preferably 8 Gb. Of course, it's generally easy to add RAM and it should cost $100 or thereabouts to do so (depending on the Mac model)... but before you go to either of these new systems, that might be worth checking.

With respect to printers.... the current systems do support a truly vast number of printers just by plugging them in and they work. If your printer is truly so old that it doesn't work with the new system... well these new printers are so inexpensive that it almost suggests it could be time to move on.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:29 pm

The main thing I'm running into when helping folks with older computers is that these newer systems (both Yosemite and El Cap) really need to have 4 Gb of RAM minimum, and preferably 8 Gb.
I agree, based on one experience. When we migrated my wife's college computer, an old mini, to Yosemite, it bogged way, way down. It had only 2 GB RAM. There could have been other issues, such as a failing hard drive; I didn't check any of that. The college replaced the mini with an even older iMac out of a store room somewhere, and it worked OK with its 4 GB--until it had a hardware failure where it was spontaneously shutting down all the time. Now she's on the second storeroom iMac.
Steve Jobs