Apple Magic Mouse 2

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Apple Magic Mouse 2

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 am

I just received a Magic Mouse 2. Here are some impressions:

As reviews have said, it's almost identical to the older Magic Mouse, but there are some differences:
•The edges of the top plastic are a little smoother.
•The click mechanism is noticeably quieter and softer. Quieter is good, especially if your office is quiet. Softer is good because it reduces finger fatigue a bit, but see below.
•The redesigned feet and the plastic they're made of make it very noticeably smoother sliding. I use a teflon mouse pad, so any mouse is pretty smooth, but this one is absolutely silent on my pad and feels like it's on air.
•It seems more sensitive to El Capitan's feature of ballooning the mouse pointer when you wiggle the mouse.
•Apple advertises the Magic Mouse 2 as the first multitouch mouse, but the only added gesture I notice is double tap to zoom, which works in Safari, Preview and TextEdit, for example, but not in Photoshop. I assume more gestures and apps using them will be along pretty soon now.
The problem with double tap to zoom is that you have to tap very gently or you'll click the mouse instead. I'm sure one could learn that quickly if zooming is important to you. This is, by the way, a different looking zoom from control and swipe zoom, at least on my retina iMac. The latter just enlarges the monitor within the zoom window. The new double tap to zoom enlarges while maintaining full resolution in text. The slight softness you see in text in the attached image is a result of making a screenshot on a retina monitor and then reducing it in Photoshop.
•The touch surface may be a bit more sensitive, or have more resolution. It seems that way to me, but I didn't do a real A-B comparison.
•Pairing is instant when you plug the Magic Mouse 2 in to any USB-Lightning cord connected to your Mac. I sat there for a while after plugging it in wondering why System Preferences didn't open. Then I noticed the Notification that the mouse was ready to use.

I've seen a couple of complaints that the Lightning socket used for recharging the non-replaceable batteries is on the bottom. I guess that'd be a problem if you ignored the battery warnings and ran out of batteries during a crucial work session. But you could just as well forget to charge your spare NiCads. (We have half a dozen extra NiCad AA batteries and a charger right in the office to deal with two BlueTooth keyboards and two BlueTooth mice. We also have a couple of spare mice for emergencies.)
Attachments
zoom.jpg
zoom.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Apple Magic Mouse 2

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:56 am

Stephen Hart wrote:I
I've seen a couple of complaints that the Lightning socket used for recharging the non-replaceable batteries is on the bottom.
Guessing they put there so you don't use it as wired mouse. Any thoughts on the new mouse lasting longer on a charge than the battery powered version?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:07 am

Jay Cline wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:I
I've seen a couple of complaints that the Lightning socket used for recharging the non-replaceable batteries is on the bottom.
Guessing they put there so you don't use it as wired mouse. Any thoughts on the new mouse lasting longer on a charge than the battery powered version?
I can't believe that the Apple Engineers didn't take a batch of original Magic Mouses and epoxy a cord on in every possible position, then test. (That is to say, I'm sure they did just that.) There aren't really any sides, so you'd have to change the shape. And I can't see anywhere to put it so that it wouldn't be in the way, except maybe in the front. I suppose you could argue that even if inconvenient, a cord would be less inconvenient than no mouse function at all.

When the cord is plugged in, the mouse is turned off. So also maybe a technical reason to not make the mouse seem functional when charging. The there's the internal part of the Lightning connector.

Jason Snell, who used to be at Macworld, reviewed the Magic Input Devices here and notes that the keyboard does work as a wired USB keyboard, even on a Mac with no BlueTooth LE. http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/10/using ... lder-macs/
His comments on the stability of the new keyboard seem compelling to me, for someone who types a lot.

My Magic Mouse arrived Friday around mid day. The battery was at 95%. I only plugged it in for a couple of minutes to pair it and then again for a couple of minutes to see if it even worked when plugged in. So maybe 4 minutes charging total since Friday. This morning, it's showing 91% battery. So in my intermittent use--several hours a day without a ton of mouse movements--it's seeming like maybe 2% a day or a month and a half before it needs a 2-hour minimum charge. My older Magic Mouse, with NiCad rechargeable batteries, needed its batteries changed around once a week.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Coming up on two weeks of use, my Magic Mouse 2 is using almost exactly 2% of battery capacity a day.

I don't use the mouse for 8 hours a day as someone working with a Mac might, but I do use it 3 or 4 hours on a typical day.

I don't know what the Magic Mouse 2's algorithm for battery saving is. It might just switch to almost-off mode when not in use for a while. But I've never seen any delay in getting it to start up when I've been away from my Mac for a while, so if it does sleep, it wakes lightning fast.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:26 pm

iFixit tears apart a Magic Mouse 2. Mostly, it's unrepairable, but does anyone really care?

It looks from the photos like the plastic glides just snap out. That might be the fastest-wearing part. Of course, being able to remove them only helps if you can buy replacement parts or upgrades (antigravity mouse glides!)

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+M ... down/51058

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here's a mostly reasonable review from Macworld.

But note that the Magic Mouse 2 will achieve 9 hours worth of charge in two minutes, according to Apple. I'm sure we'll read about some testing once a month or so has passed and anyone has a Magic Mouse 2 with an empty battery to test with. Can you get 2.25 hours of use from a 30 second charge? If anything less than 2 minutes gives you anything like a proportionate period of use, the whole issue becomes funny. Or even cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This interesting article, by Steven Levy, validates my suggestion.
But if you lose track of how low the charge is, plugging the input device into the USB port for just a minute gives you a half a day’s worth of work.
The article has lots to say about the Magic Mouse 2, including its sound when gliding and clicking. My impression is that the gliding sound, even just on a wooden desk, is much quieter. And on a Teflon mouse pad, it's silent. The click noise is quieter.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:08 am

So yesterday late afternoon, my Magic Mouse 2 finally ran its battery down until it shut off.
To review, that's 41 days of daily use, at least a couple of hours a day, starting when the mouse was delivered with a 95% battery charge.

To test the advertised quick-charge feature, I plugged the mouse in for about 30 seconds (counting "one thousand, two thousand..."). Indeed, the mouse was back to life with 1% showing in the BlueTooth menu item. I didn't test to see how long I could use it at that point, but adding 30 or 90 more seconds of charge wouldn't be much of a burden.
Attachments
mm2.jpg
mm2.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:38 am

I ran the Magic Mouse down until it shut off yesterday. Again, a few seconds of charging got enough juice to run until I could conveniently plug it in and leave it alone for a while.
From 100% to 0% took 46 days, in my use, a little over 2% per day. Presumably, if you were using it for whole 8-hour workdays, it'd need charging more often.

One other point: When I unplug the Magic Mouse 2 so I can use it again, it seems to connect with my iMac nearly instantly.
Steve Jobs