El Capitan released on Sept. 30

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

El Capitan released on Sept. 30

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am

MacWorld has a few suggestions before updating to El Capitan (10.11) when it is released Wednesday.

Backup first.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985812 ... pitan.html
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: El Capitan released on Sept. 30

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Jay Cline wrote:MacWorld has a few suggestions before updating to El Capitan (10.11) when it is released Wednesday.

Backup first.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985812 ... pitan.html
Better yet, backup always. Use Time Machine.

From the article cited:
After you prep your Mac, you can update OS X as soon as Apple releases it, though it’s understandable if you rather wait until the first update to El Capitan in case you’re worried about bugs.
This, I respectfully submit, is silly. Apple does not release untested software. El Cap has been in public beta for months. Nor can Apple possibly fix all reported bugs in the n.1 release, nor in the n.9 release. Each major update has some problems, and many of the dot updates have their own problems. Most of these are with third-party apps that need to change something for the new OS version. (For example, Snapz Pro X, which I used to use a lot, had a major bug throughout the whole live of Yosemite, and it was just fixed last week, for El Capitan and Yosemite.) But some problems crop up with minor updates as well. iOS 8 had new problems with almost every minor update.

So if your current setup is doing everything you want it to do, and El Capitan doesn't seem to offer any advantages, leave well enough alone.

I did not participate in the beta program this summer, but will update my iMac asap. Then I'll update our other Macs after a while.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: El Capitan released on Sept. 30

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm

El Cap took about an hour to download and install. Only glitch was CS5 needed a Java update and I needed an update for the Photoshop plugin, Topaz Adjust. Apps were slow to load and open at first but appear to work as normal now. Continuing with fingers crossed.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.