Air Port Extreme

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
trelstadg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Air Port Extreme

Post by trelstadg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 pm

I've decided to drop my Century Link DSL service for Wave's cable internet service, much faster. They provide the modem and router for 3 months free of charge, after that you can rent or purchase your own. I looked at the reviews on the Air Port Extreme and the feedback was either 5 star or some had nothing but problems, go figure. Has anyone on this forum had any experience with it or have another recommendations. In addition, I'll need to purchase a cable modem, any recommendation. I live in a split level home so router signal strength is also a priority and concern. Thanks for any advice.... Gene

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Air Port Extreme

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:50 pm

I added an AirPort Extreme and an AirPort Express to my WiFi system and have been very pleased.

I've had CenturyLink DSL modems ever since they changed the name, and used the WiFi component. (Oh, if only Wave would run cable the 6 miles or so up the Parkway to Lake Dawn!!) It worked just OK in our house, with the modem upstairs. But WiFi in my shop, a separate building about 15 feet from the downstairs part of the house, was pretty poor. The line of sight between the upstairs modem antenna and the shop goes through several walls and two roofs.

I first added an AirPort Extreme. I turned off the DSL modem's WiFi and used the AE. That fixed the problem for the shop. We can also get good WiFi all around downstairs, including a downstairs master suite at the opposite corner of the house.

Outside the house, we can go many tens of feet south from the upstairs office window with good reception. The only important part of that is that both our decks and our car-parking area have good reception. I've tested at the back of the house, where there's a road some 50 feet away through trees and a lot of house and there's no reception there, which is a good thing.

I later bought a refurbished (open box, really) Airport Express, which is connected to my stereo. We don't use it much for the stereo, but it also adds a bit of coverage. It works perfectly.

Setup with AirPort Utility is pretty simple. I did a lot of research when I first got the Airport Extreme and finally found a blog where someone had spent weeks tinkering with settings only to find that the defaults out of the box were the best. Works for me.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am

Like Stephen I use an Airport Extreme as my base station and two Airport Expresses to cover the house and garage. It just works. No muss, no fuss.

And as Stephen mentioned, make sure to turn OFF the WiFi component of the Wave router.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Update:
I first added an AirPort Extreme. I turned off the DSL modem's WiFi and used the AE. That fixed the problem for the shop. We can also get good WiFi all around downstairs, including a downstairs master suite at the opposite corner of the house.
Back in late August, we got a new roof. A metal roof. After that, the AirPort Extreme couldn't reach the shop reliably. The signal now has to go through metal roofing as well as walls and roof framing. I was getting 0 to 1 bars, with some variability, inside the shop.
So last week I bought another refurbished AirPort Express, for half price. It was boxed as new, looks perfect, functions perfectly and is guaranteed for a year. After some experimentation, I put it in a storage room in the shop building, where it's protected from dust. Now I'm getting WiFi in the shop that's as good as I get sitting right next to the AirPort Extreme in the office.
Setup was simple: plug in, select the new AirPort Express in AirPort Utility, change its name and accept the default "extend network."
I later bought a refurbished (open box, really) Airport Express, which is connected to my stereo. We don't use it much for the stereo, but it also adds a bit of coverage. It works perfectly.
As I've written in other threads, I've been using this audio connection more lately, with Apple Music. The sound quality is surprisingly good.
Attachments
AirPorts.jpg
AirPorts.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:32 pm

And here's possibly why the AirPort Express I bought was half price:

Apple axes Wi-Fi router division

Apple still has AirPort devices for sale new, but none refurbished at the moment.
Steve Jobs