iMac SuperDrive Replacement

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iMac SuperDrive Replacement

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm

So today we realized, after a good deal of testing, that the SuperDrive in our 2010 27" iMac was failing. It could read some DVDs, but not others.
Checking the same DVDs with our 2010 MacBook Pro, we found that all would function as expected.

I looked up instructions on how to replace the SuperDrive: not insignificant, both in terms of time and in terms of risk of something going wrong. Furthermore, I found that an exact replacement drive was not obviously available.

A little more research led me to buy an Apple USB SuperDrive for $79 plus tax. Probably less expensive than any potential replacement internal drive, no risk of disassembling the iMac, and usable on either of our iMacs (my 2014 retina iMac does not have an optical drive).

It's tiny, USB powered, no cord to lose, and iMac styled.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iMac SuperDrive Replacement

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:05 pm

We received the drive today, and it lives up to Apple's usual standards.

The outer packaging was a plain cardboard box with a foam lining. Cool, but not recyclable.

The inner packaging exemplifies Apple excellence.

The drive itself is about as small as it could be, in a solid aluminum (aluminium for Ive followers) case. It fits perfectly on the foot of iMacs, and is barely noticeable there.

The USB cord is attached. That means you can't lose it, but also means if it gets frayed or broken, the whole thing is toast. (Come to think of it, it's about the size of a big slice of toast!)

It's plug and play, and instantly recognized. It played DVDs that we couldn't play in the older iMac's internal SuperDrive.

So for $79, we get the older iMac "repaired," we get a SuperDrive for my newer iMac and we get a second SuperDrive for our older MacBook Pro, in case that's ever useful.
Attachments
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 874 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs