Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 - Free Preview

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 - Free Preview

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Like this?
Attachments
128.jpg
128.jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 788 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:52 pm

NICE!!!!!! Exactly like that!!! You are too cool, Jay. You top me every time!!

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Tracelene's daughter gave me her 128k Mac. I'm reluctant to remove the skunk stickers on the front.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Jay Cline wrote:Tracelene's daughter gave me her 128k Mac. I'm reluctant to remove the skunk stickers on the front.
You should put those skunk stickers on you bike.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Jay Cline wrote:Tracelene's daughter gave me her 128k Mac. I'm reluctant to remove the skunk stickers on the front.
Or, better yet, make a web page in tribute to Tracelene.

You know, we should have an old-folks night at SMUG. My computer experience dates back to the DEC PDP 8e, ca 1971. I have a photo of my setup. My first Mac was a 1988 SE, which I unboxed on my inlaws' dining-room table and just started up, to the horror of everyone involved (except me). It just worked.

Others have experience that goes way back.

Or if a whole night is too much, how about a SMUG timeline? Oh, wait. I've already suggested that.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:30 am

I would think an Mac Old-Timers night could be an interesting meeting or half-meeting. But the problem is that it would all fall on Jay. Jay, what do you think about that? I recall that at some previous meeting (or was it the Sequim Tech Fair?) you came and set up a number of your old machines. One problem with it would be how to show the stuff to a large crowd of people. We could, for example, have a demo where you could sit at one of the old machines and show how it works while we displayed the screen via video camera image. Would this work?

A year or so ago, Stephen sent me what he had of past SMUG history. I have those files on my computer including a list of past club officers and a very few examples of past programs and meeting notes. Not sure how any of this would influence or interest today's iOS crowd.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:45 am

Keeping it interesting to members would be a problem. I'd like to see a competition to see who has the oldest working computer on the peninsula though.
-----------------

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Jay Cline wrote:Keeping it interesting to members would be a problem. I'd like to see a competition to see who has the oldest working computer on the peninsula though.
It may well be you. I could have stolen the PDP 8e from the UW, but that would have been wrong. Actually, you can probably buy almost any early computer by the palette these days for a song.

If we can combine some physical examples (down to Jay, I think) with some slide shows and anecdotes, maybe that'd be enough.

It'd be a tad difficult for me to describe the research I was employed to be a research assistant in, but it's an early predecessor of smart prostheses of today.

Or maybe we can just get this out of our systems on the forum and save everyone else a lot of boredom. :)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs