Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 - Free Preview

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 - Free Preview

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 pm

If you would be interested in checking out the new version of Microsoft Office, there is a link for a FREE preview download here:
http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

In my opinion the redesigned toolbars in this version are both more organized and easier to read ... with support for retina displays as well as larger text and icons.

There is full-screen view support and the option to save documents to iCloud Drive.

Cool.

The final version should be available this fall ... and then this Preview version will stop working. I wonder what the price will be.

;)
Attachments
Word Toolbars.png
Word Toolbars.png (42.16 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 - Free Preview

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Microsoft Word 2015 also has a new Format Picture pane that has lots of cool features.

:)
Attachments
Picture Format.png
Picture Format.png (212.96 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 am

Will the new Outlook sync with your iDevices? Specifically Mail, Calendar, Reminders and Contacts?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:25 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Will the new Outlook sync with your iDevices? Specifically Mail, Calendar, Reminders and Contacts?
Not that I can tell.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:26 am

Ray Bentsen wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:Will the new Outlook sync with your iDevices? Specifically Mail, Calendar, Reminders and Contacts?
Not that I can tell.
Well, that puts the kibosh on Outlook for me. I guess Microsoft just doesn't care.

I guess you could logon to your Outlook.com account to check your mail, calendar, etc. but that's assuming that the desktop Office for Mac will even sync with the website. And even if the desktop version syncs with the website it's still an awkward way of doing things. Many questions to be answered...
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Have been using the new Office for the past two days and so far no problems. I will report back here as I try new things. One thing I noticed is that many Word documents on my machine started appearing with the new version's icon.... but not all of them. I still haven't figured out the rhyme or reason of this yet. There are many other discoveries to be made but I'm overall surprised and pleased with how seamless they made the transition to the new version.

I will be presenting a program on the new Microsoft Office at our next club meeting April 7 in Sequim. Stay tuned.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:57 am

One thing I noticed is that many Word documents on my machine started appearing with the new version's icon.... but not all of them. I still haven't figured out the rhyme or reason of this yet.
Are some of the documents old? I have lots of Word documents from early versions that have different icons and can't be opened in Word 2011.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:16 pm

No.... the difference might be caused by whether I have the particular windows in question set to show file preview versus no preview. Will work on clarifying that.

With respect to opening old files. Word can open files going back very far.... but not all the way back in time. Some of the somewhat older files can be opened by opening them from within the application (as opposed to double-clicking them on the desktop). There are also some problems that Word handles ungracefully... for example, it will tell you it cannot open any older file where the filename contains a slash. For example, if you named the file: "Letter to Frank 3/23/96" Word will tell you that it cannot open the file. It doesn't tell you the simple fix which is to simply change it to 3-23-96 and it will open fine.

I found some discussion of the "old files" problem in this posting: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 0095628470 but in truth, there are more ways around this than that article mentions. And also various quick fixes that might fix otherwise difficult translations.

I have virtually every (every?) version of Microsoft Office that was ever released so it might, in some really important cases, be worth a try to install this very old software on a newer machine to rescue some very precious important document. I would say that all files from the 1990's ought to be readable one way or another. Back to the 80's and you're on your own.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:08 pm

I have Word, v5.1 on 800k floppy discs if you need 'em Jerry!
Attachments
word.jpg
word.jpg (106.91 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:44 am

Jay, good to know that someone in the community is up to date. Actually, I had, up until very recently, every version of Word ever produced back to v 1.0 on floppies. A few years ago, I threw out all the old floppies so those are gone now, sad to say. BUT... BUT.... for those of you in need, you'll be pleased to know that I still have my original MacWrite/MacPaint floppy from the original 128K Mac. I can lend it to you if you need it.