Making slideshows and/or movies

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
hampsessions
Forum Member
Forum Member

Making slideshows and/or movies

Post by hampsessions » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:06 pm

I want to make a slideshow or movie to be played from a dvd to a television monitor and also use it to play from laptop through a digital projector.
My main problem seems to be that I would like to have slides and a few movie clips in the Memorial slideshow I'm trying to make and I can't seem to find a slideshow or movie program that allows that. I've made slideshows and burned them on dvd's before but not with movie clips. Part of my problem may be the movie clips are .wmv format and I'm going to see if changing that format will make it possible.
I'm using an imac with Yosemite.
thanks for any help offered,
Hamp Sessions

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Making slideshows and/or movies

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 am

Keynote (and PowerPoint) presentations can include movie clips, as well as audio, slides, builds, effects, etc.
That'd be ideal if the presenter wants to control when slides change, etc. You can output a Keynote presentation as a movie for autoplaying.

But if you want any degree of precision between slide changes and music during autoplay, you might be better off using iMovie or FinalCut (or something similar). The product would be a movie that can include slides, movies, audio and--with more trouble than in Keynote--special effects. You can also include a Keynote presentation output as a movie clip. You could plan to pause the movie at certain spots.

If you need to produce the final product on DVD, for playing on ordinary consumer DVD players (as opposed to computers), you can still use iDVD, even on Yosemite, even though Apple doesn't include it with the OS any more. (There are probably alternatives, but I've only used iDVD.)

If you're just using the DVD as a storage medium, and the product will be played from a computer, then you can skip the DVD production step.

It's very easy to play a presentation or a movie using Apple TV and AirPlay.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

hampsessions
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hampsessions » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks Stephen, I hadn't thought of using airplay although I use it everynight to watch the news.
I don't want to have to control the slide interval manually and had not thought of using keynote or powerpoint.
I did get the slides and video clips on iMovie, but can't figure out how to arrange them. Nothing seems to work, i.e. right click or left click and drag. I tried arranging them in the list of photos to be added all at once, but it sorts them a different way and has no 'sort view'. It does allow sorting by name, date, tag, size, etc but none of those fit the list of old photos many of which I had to scan into digital format. If you know of a way to arrange them manually I'd like to know, otherwise I may try one of the other programs.
thanks again,
Hamp Sessions

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I haven't used iMovie, so I'll leave it to others to explain how to arrange an automatic slide show in that app. Final Cut's a different beast.

I do know that trying to coordinate slide changes to music in Keynote is problematic.

Also, base on my experience making a memorial slide show, if you don't need to have more than pause/play control, a movie is clearly the best way to go to avoid problems during presentation.

If you google "iMovie slide show," you'll get many hits on tutorials on how to do this.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs