Kodak C875 firmware upgrade

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jan Tatom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Kodak C875 firmware upgrade

Post by Jan Tatom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Have gone to Kodak and downloaded the firmware upgrade for my camera for a Mac, but when I open the file it says it cannot read the file and tries to download it as a picture. Their written instructions do not make sense. Please advise. Thanks.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Kodak C875 firmware upgrade

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:41 pm

I found the file on this page:
http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers ... ected/true

The file downloaded as KC875102.dmg. If you doubleclick that Mac disk image, it will mount like an external drive on your Mac. The mounted disk image is called KC875102.FW and it contains one file of the same name.

That file shows up for me as a file of the kind Unix Executable File and it's 3.6 MB. The Mac (running as a Mac) can't do anything with that file. Drag it to the desktop.

I ran a firmware upgrade on my new camera recently, and the way to do that was to actually access the file from within the camera, using pretty much the same directions the Kodak page shows.

So you first want to get any images off the camera card and into iPhoto or Aperture.
Then mount the card in the Mac Finder. I did this with the card in the camera, but you can remove it and use an external card reader or the one in your Mac. Either way, the card will show up as if it were an external drive.
Now drag KC875102.FW to the System folder on the card. If there is none, create one.
When you put the card back into the camera and turn it on--or unmount the camera and turn it off and then back on--it will should recognize the update and give you instructions.
(Use Kodak's step-by-step instructions. I'm just giving an overview.)

If you get an error at that point, it may just mean that your camera already has the update. That's what happened for me.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jan Tatom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jan Tatom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Stephen, Thanks for the information. I did as you said, turning camera off and on. Each time it says that it has detected new firmware and asks if I want to install it. I've agreed three times, it loads and then goes through the same process again and again. Suggestions? Jan

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:58 pm

I may be out of my league here.

Have you tried downloading the file again, from scratch?

Did you put the file on the camera card using a card reader?

Here's an ultraconservative approach:
1. Make sure you have downloaded anything you want from the camera card.
2. Format the card in the camera.
3. Turn the camera off and remove the card.
4. Follow the Kodak instructions using a card reader or the card reader in your Mac.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:53 am

Jeez.... what an ORDEAL!!! Sounds awful. Condolences...

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:21 am

I've done firmware updates on two new cameras in the last few months. The Panasonic Lumix went as I described above, requiring copying the update to the card, and then letting the camera OS install it.

The other, for a Sony QX10, used a Mac application to do the whole thing. It wasn't the best Mac app I've seen, but it was very easy to use and it worked. The QX10 does not have its own interface, using an iPhone or iPad instead, so that may have made an app necessary.
Steve Jobs