Time Machine Problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Time Machine Problem

Post by Jim Martin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:34 am

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 12.06.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 12.06.26 AM.png (69.47 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Here is a message I received when I tried to set up Time Machine on my late 2007 iMac, with Yosemite installed.
In past years I learned froM SMUG members if a file poses a problem go to the hard drive's root, the library then find preference and in preferences find the plist for the problem file. Drag the plist to the trash and restart the computer. problem solved.
THIS WAS AFTER TIME SEARCHED FOR ANSWERS IN APPLE'S SUPPORT COMMUNITIES.

Thanks SMUG.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Time Machine Problem

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 am

I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. Time Machine shouldn't have anything to do with URLs.
If a browser can display a particular file, the path to where it's stored on your hard drive looks like this in the browser's location field.
file:///Users/Steve/Documents/%20Family/205.psd

But Time Machine isn't a browser, and would just treat such a file as a file. If you're setting up Time Machine for the first time, you merely need a properly formatted hard drive. A new drive that came formatted for Windows won't work. You plug it in, choose it in System Preferences > Time Machine, and you're done.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:12 am

Jim, just as Stephen, I'm perplexed about what you're showing there. Time Machine is dumbed down to the point that there are few things to know about it and few things to fix if it gets confused. In simplest terms, it should see any Mac-formatted disk as a potential backup volume and then ask you if you want to use that volume as your Time Machine backup? You click the "yes" button and that's all there is to it.

Following along Stephen's suggestion, I would go into Disk Utility and simply confirm that the hard disk in question is formatted as a Mac disk. If it is (and assuming it is either new or else ready to be erased and put to this new use as a backup volume) then you could safely "Erase" the disk in Disk Utility. This should not be necessary but it simply clears the playing field so that Time Machine should have no issues using that volume. Then you go into Time Machine, turn "On" the backup switch... and it should ask you which volume you want to use for backup. You should be able to choose that external hard drive we're talking about. If you see anything else, you should post that info here and we'll help you figure out what's going wrong.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 am

Does this message prevent you from using your Time Machine backup? I get a message similar to this after doing a restart and it says it is unable to connect with/see a computer that I have listed to share data with. I just ignore the message, say OK, and go on. When I want to go/share with the other computer I select it in the sidebar and everything works fine. I don't know why the message comes up, but I ignore it and go on.

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Martin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks Stephen, Jerry and Bob.When this message came up I could not go on, There are several posts on the Apple support communities on this same message in regards to Time machine. I had used this same drive on the iMac before I upgraded to Yosemite, I had erased and formatted the Drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before I tried to use it on the iMac.
I could not open Time Machine. All of a sudden i remembered about trashing the plist and after restarting I had access to Time Machine. It has been running and I can restore files that I have trashed previously.

I only wanted to thank SMUG for giving me a solution to a problem I could not solve. Thanks for all your responses and perhaps I had not made myself clear. Thanks.