Video TS

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Video TS

Post by brianyoung » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I recently received a DVD from a friend in Denmark. It is a copy of one that I had some years ago, which I no longer have. I expected this new copy to play on my Macbook, just like the first one. But no way! I can hardly get it to open at all, and then it can be even hard to eject. I was able to see that it contains a folder with Video TS, and several files, BUP, IFO, and VOB.The standard DVD player will not open it. Some place on the internet suggested using Flip4mac, or Quicktime. I tried to use Flip4mac, but was told that it needs to be updated, at 5.95. I would not mind paying, but I cannot find out if it would even help. Then there is something called Cyberlink, but I cannot figure out what that one does either. I have spent a lot of time Googling this, but have not found a solution. Anyone else out there who has played this type of DVD?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Video TS

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 am

I suspect it's either a region issue or its' a PAL vs NTSC issue.
Your Mac is seeing the DVD as just a data disc, not a playable disc.

You might look into Handbrake.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 am

Ditto on Handbrake. It works great for extracting video from a DVD. Just use the default settings, it should find your DVD then just click the Start button at the top. The default is to save the file to your desktop as an mp4 which will open in Quicktime player. When finished you'll get a message to Put down that cocktail, your Handbrake queue is done.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.52.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.52.52 AM.png (107.35 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.58.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.58.10 AM.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 981 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded and installed Handbrake, but it could not open the DVD. It said that it could not find any valid content. I tried everything. Then I downloaded and installed the free VLC app. At first that would not work either. Then I finally did get it to open the DVD, and I was able to get through about 20 minutes of the film. Then it stopped, and completely froze up my computer- I had to shut it down with the power button. Nothing else would work, no force quit, or escape, or anything. I tried several times, and crashed the computer each time, and have now just given up. The DVD was something that a friend burned on her own laptop, and something is just not right. I will try to get a replacement, as I have already wasted hours on this.
But thanks for the input.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Though I recommended Handbrake above, I'd never used it until today.
I bought a tool that came with a DVD with basic and advanced instructions. Because my iMac doesn't have a SuperDrive, I thought I'd rip the DVD and keep it on my drive.
Handbrake worked as Jay advertised with the default settings. Not only that, but I was using the SuperDrive in my wife's iMac, by way of Remote Disc. Pretty slick except that you apparently can't eject the DVD from the remote Mac.

I did have a problem, though. Once Handbrake was done, I didn't have a cocktail to put down, so I was stuck at that dialog box. Would a glass of chardonnay do in a pinch? :)
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm

I downloaded and installed Handbrake, but it could not open the DVD. It said that it could not find any valid content. I tried everything.
Here's a Handbrake Help page that lists possible causes of this issue. VLC is a required component of Handbrake, but apparently an older version of VLC is needed in some circumstances.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Handbrake looks for the VOB file you mentioned in the first post. There might be several of them on a DVD, choose the largest file size. If Handbrake didn't find it by default I would suggest the DVD is defective.

Steve, I think chardonnay would be a workable alternative. "Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake".
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake".
Will do, Mr. Fields.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:55 am

FWIW, VLC has been updated to Version 2.0.9 Twoflower (Intel 64bit).
Steve Jobs