Aperture vs. iPhoto Question

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Aperture vs. iPhoto Question

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:45 am

Buying Aperture 3 on a DVD costs about $199 whereas downloading it from the Mac Store is only $79.99. But downloading iPhoto from the App Store is $14.99. Just to be precise, I'm not talking about buying iLife '11 which includes iPhoto, I'm talking about buying just iPhoto.

There's a big difference between $14.99 and $79.99. Other than Aperture's ability to handle large photo libraries more efficiently than iPhoto, what are the advantages to Aperture?

Just curious...
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Aperture vs. iPhoto Question

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 pm

There was an Aperture demo a while back, wasn't there?

There's a lot of discussion of Aperture and Lightroom (the Adobe competitor) on Macintouch.

Were you having a specific problem with iPhoto recently (other than some dumb interface decisions)?

I have approaching 40,000 main images in my iPhoto library and that doesn't seem to faze it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

No problems, just curious.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 am

Apple allows for a full featured 30-day trial. I'm downloading it now and plan on playing with it for the next 30 days. To quote my grandmother, "We shall see what we shall see."
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 am

I'd be interested in your report.
Here are some points I'm concerned about with iPhoto:
Description field. Not useless in iPhoto 9, but asymptotically approaching useless.
I need to see a whole description field, and need to be able to do normal copy, paste, delete, etc. easily.
Find and replace in description fields across all photos would be excellent.
Search, especially advanced search. In iPhoto, I often get anomalous results from two- or three-word searches.

Any other real advantages over iPhoto.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I'd be interested in your report.
Here are some points I'm concerned about with iPhoto:
Description field. Not useless in iPhoto 9, but asymptotically approaching useless.
I need to see a whole description field, and need to be able to do normal copy, paste, delete, etc. easily.
Find and replace in description fields across all photos would be excellent.
Search, especially advanced search. In iPhoto, I often get anomalous results from two- or three-word searches.

Any other real advantages over iPhoto.
It sounds like the things that are of interest to you aren't to me. Let me suggest you download the trial version and give it a spin yourself.
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Stephen Hart wrote: Description field. Not useless in iPhoto 9, but asymptotically approaching useless.
As mentioned in my last demo, iPhoto '11 has an improved photo description field.

Although only two lines of scrollable description are displayed in the info pane at any time, hovering over the field will show all of the text. (see screenshot)

I have no idea what the character limit may be ... since I ran out of sample text to type.

The field, however, does permit cut, copy and paste ... as well as dictionary lookup.
;)
Attachments
Deer in Back Yard.png
Deer in Back Yard.png (878.09 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Right Ray. I've been using iPhoto '11 since it came out.

The problems are that you can't see the whole field until the popup appears. Then you can't move the mouse or it disappears.
You can scroll in the two-line visible view, but only by placing the cursor in the field and then using the down arrow key. That's the only way to select any text below the first two lines. Again, if you move the mouse out of the two lines, you can't do anything there.

And most of the time, there's mostly gray empty space below those two lines, except for Faces.

You can insert text in a normal text field with the Batch Change menu item, but it does not show what's already in the field.

It's just an opinion, but I think that this change is one of the worst interface errors Apple has made, in my experience.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Apple has some excellent videos on Aperture, and some highlight the improvements from iPhoto. But I don't see the description field mentioned at all.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 am

There was a time when I was an avid photographer and a full featured program like Aperture would have been a necessity, or at least I would have thought so. But lately I've used photography in a very casual way. I've evolved into just a point-and-click sort of guy who then does minor corrections before storing or sharing the photos. I really don't scratch the surface of what a program like Aperture can do or even iPhoto for that matter.

So with my limited needs and wants from a photography application I can say that iPhoto does all the things I would use Aperture for. But the last iteration of iPhoto has made some previously easy tasks hard at least in terms of finding the right menus and features. What was once easy to find is now hidden and tool bar modifications seem limited as compared to previous versions of iPhoto. Aperture has everything up front. Easy to find and use. Plus the UI of Aperture is cleaner and more "grown up" whereas the UI of iPhoto seems almost cartoonish. These are subjective assessments, obviously. All in all I like Aperture more than iPhoto for its ease of use and UI but is it worth the additional $65?

I already own the most current version of iPhoto (part of iLife '11). If I wanted to buy it from the App Store as a stand alone program it's $14.99. To purchase Aperture would cost me $79.99. I think I'll wait until the next version of iPhoto is released and then revisit this issue. Right now I think I'll keep the $79.99 in my wallet and use the copy of iPhoto I already own.
---