Magic Trackpad Major Fail

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Magic Trackpad Major Fail

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 am

We ran into a weird problem last night. My wife was scanning pages from her huge college textbook into my retina iMac and got a very strange freeze.
Normally she would do this using a custom-made wooden box I built to hold the other side of the book at the same height as the scanner bed. But she just had a couple of pages to scan, so she skipped that.

The riMac appeared to be partly frozen. I couldn't switch to other apps, but I could click on the Dock. I could invoke the Force Quit dialog with the keyboard, but couldn't select any item in it. I could invoke Mission Control from the Dock, but then couldn't click any window it showed. (Mission Impossible!)

I was very annoyed. Not only has my riMac not frozen, it's has no glitches at all. This looked really bad.

Well, I did what any highly-trained and experienced Mac tech would do in this case; I scooted my chair to the left of the riMac--my wife had to move her chair too--and forced a restart with the Power button. Just as I did, my wife said "Wait, what's that under the book?" It was my Magic Trackpad, with the side of the heavy book resting on it, holding in in click position.

I'm thinking of starting a class-action suit against Apple for such a lame design. You can't even use the Magic Trackpad as a bookrest! You probably can't put a potted plant on it either. ;)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Magic Trackpad Major Fail

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Brilliant!