Backing up iPhoto library

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Backing up iPhoto library

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:12 pm

This morning I wanted to backup my 13,000 photo iPhoto library over to an external USB drive. 16 days turned out to be only 3 hours.

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Backing up iPhoto library

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 am

Some of those progress messages are pretty funny. I think it's because the process starts and calculates a time to complete from a short sample of throughput.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Backing up iPhoto library

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Well just thank your lucky stars, Jay. One of our club members (who will remain nameless) feared he might lose his iPhoto library. So he backed it up. And then backed it up again. And then again. And again. I'm not sure how he managed to do this, but each of his backups actually duplicated all the previous backups. To the point that when he saw me (because his Mac was running slow...) his iPhoto Library contained 1.3 million images. OK, I thought, I went online and found a utility that searches iPhoto Libraries for duplicates and eliminates them. I let the computer run untouched day and night for six days. At the end of those six days, the collection was down to 800,000 images. Whew!!!!