Internet Alternatives

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 am

By the by, with the Ookla speedtest you can select the server to use. I use the same one out of Seattle for all my devices to keep that constant.
Right. I just meant that in the two tests I just posted, I didn't select the server.

In my case, I wasn't trying to connect to the modem via WiFi. I had my iMac plugged into my AirPort Extreme ethernet, and the modem as well plugged into the AirPort Extreme. That shouldn't make any difference, but I also tested wiring direct from Mac to modem. In no case could I get into the old (2010) modem's interface when it was showing no connection to the internet. If the new modem goes off line, I'll test that out. It looks from the log like the new modem did retrain once during the night, but did not stay disconnected.

Another odd thing that the tech arched his eyebrow about was that when the old modem lost the connection, it would show a steady DSL light but no internet light. It shouldn't do that. Olympus.net says they see no issues at their end, though they could see that I had to power cycle my modem four times yesterday morning.

Basically, I think a DSL modem should never do anything odd.

So it's possible that my issues that started early this year were a combination of a CenturyLink tech switching me to another wire pair, a pair with so many issues that took our tech nearly a week to fix. And it's also possible that the older modem had its own issues. There's a Murphey's law for that.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:04 pm

One final check in... It's been a while since the upgrade in speed and it hasn't fallen off. I connect at 7.186 and download at 6.1 to 6.2.

I guess it's going to stay at this speed as long as I pay my bill each month.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.