Internet Alternatives

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
Bob Wiswell wrote:What is the increase in price? There is an article in the Seattle Times, today, about a boost in the Seattle area, by CenturyLink, and the increases in price seemed quite substantial.
This is the same question a couple of my neighbors who are also on CenturyLink asked me. It's hard to answer because of the various discounts I get for different packages, plus letting CenturyLink handle my DirecTV bill. All I can tell you is my net increase will be $5/month. That's not a burden at all.

Keep us informed, Richard.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 am

I need to make a correction. CenturyLink is giving me a promotional offer of $5 off the "normal" price for the first six months. After that, the cost will go up by $5. So after the promotion ends I'll be paying a net gain of $10/month. To increase my speed from 1.5 to 7.0 I'll pay the additional $10 and not complain.

Your numbers could be different based on what your total CenturyLink package is.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:15 pm

So CenturyLink is advertising the new service as 7.0 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up? And the increase in price from 1.5/.6 is going to be $10 per month?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:So CenturyLink is advertising the new service as 7.0 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up? And the increase in price from 1.5/.6 is going to be $10 per month?
I didn't pay any attention to the upload speed. If you say it's 3.5 Mbps then that's good enough for me. Yes, after the six month promotion I'll be paying $10/month more than I am now. I can't guarantee that wil be true for everybody. As I said before I let CenturyLink bundle options and handle DirecTV billing and that gets me two discounts you may not get.

I signed up on Tuesday night of this week and it's now Friday afternoon and I haven't received any calls from CenturyLink telling me they made a boo-boo and can't give me the faster speed after all. This is very promising. The stand alone charge for the new modem has already cleared my bank so it should be arriving soon. I guess I'll know sometime next Tuesday when the upgrade service is supposed to happen if it really takes place or not.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:07 pm

The stand alone charge for the new modem has already cleared my bank so it should be arriving soon.
Did you buy a new DSL modem because your old one was, er, old, or because CenturyLink required a different model for the new speed. Pardon my OCD.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:20 pm

When I was signing up for the new service I could provide my own modem, lease one from CL or buy one from CL. Only an idiot would lease one at $6.99/month in perpetuity. In no time at all you'd burn through the $99.99 purchase price and then you just be giving your money to CL for no good reason. I was going to use the DSL modem I already have but CL suggested I click on a list of modems that they said would work at the faster speed. When I did I found several from the manufacturer of the one I own but my model wasn't listed. I figured I'd need to be buying a new one.

Since a typical wireless DSL modem is in the $100 range the price CL wanted wasn't out of the ordinary and if I bought it from them they couldn't claim later that they didn't support it. So that's why I bought from CL.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Well, it's THAT day and I'm pretty happy but not completely so. I woke up this morning to download speeds of 4.3 compared to my previous 1.3 and that 4.3 was consistent all morning. Everything I had received from CenturyLink said the change could be anytime during the day and not to call them with problems until after 5:00PM. I'm supposed to get download speeds of 7.0 not 4.3 but I wasn't concerned because the new modem still hadn't arrived.

The new modem got here around noon and I've got it setup and running. But I'm still only getting 4.3 (see below). Furthermore, when I look at the internal diagnostics of the modem it tells me that CenturyLink is only sending me 5.1 (see below). I have a receipt from CenturyLink saying I'm supposed to get 7.0 not 5.1.

But I'm not going to make any calls until after 5:00PM. Maybe they're still tinkering with things on their end. Maybe.
Attachments
connect.jpg
This is what's coming down the line.
connect.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 818 times
speed.jpg
This is what I'm actually getting in the house.
speed.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 818 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:15 pm

What's that display from, your new DSL modem? What model is it? Was it suggested especially for the higher speed.

When I asked my ISP about my current modem, they said there's nothing better.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:What's that display from, your new DSL modem? What model is it? Was it suggested especially for the higher speed.

When I asked my ISP about my current modem, they said there's nothing better.
Yes, that's from the new modem. It's the ZyXEL PK5001Z. I'm keeping it because it's supposed to handle the faster speeds better than my old ActionTec even though I got 4.3 with the ActionTec this morning. The main reason I'm keeping the new one is I bought it from CenturyLink so they have to give me support with it. A couple of times with CL they told me to call ActionTec because CL didn't support that model. They do some models but not the one I had.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:It's the ZyXEL PK5001Z.
Apparently that final digit makes a difference. Mine's a PK5000Z. Of course, it'd be smart to invest in a Zyxel 10⌃6Z if it'd provide even slightly better speeds or even slightly fewer packet errors or better reliability staying connected.
Also, it looks like yours has a nicer web interface. And if it came in Apple White instead of Darth Vader Black, that'd just be gravy.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests